Author Topic: Ceeoh's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 19018 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ceeoh's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stroudie,

I was inclining to something similar but thought it was a bit too early yet to make that presumption.
Was  feeling much better until I read the last post  :(
Do you have the parents of that Joseph Bradley- what are their names?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Ceeoh and Stroudie

I notice that tinkers feature in the occupations. Is it possible that these families have "travellers" in background?  It would help explain the name changes etc.

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Re Joseph Bradley's birth registration. I think I need to obtain the certificate. Information gleaned has come from asking the registrar questions which can be answered yes or no, so I don't have parents names.

Regarding tinkers / travellers. The Burnsides appear to be a large family whose occupations are given as tinker, hawker, earthenware dealer etc. They are found in North Yorks and Durham, but it's not obvious from records that they are any more mobile than many other people of the time.

I don't know much about traveller history and haven't found anything to read on the subject. Would name changes be common? I know Smith is a common traveller name, but then it's a common name anyway!

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, back again!
Hello Stroudie, good to hear from you.

Looked this up last night :
1861 census James Bradley gives his birth place as Coxon.  Sorry this should be Coxwold!  On  familysearch  there is a James Bradley baptised Coxwold 15 March 1822 son of William and Elizabeth.  Age and place fit with 1861 census.

June quarter 1855 a birth was registered for a Joseph Bradley Guisborough.  Is this the son of James and Mary?  I will check if he is on teesvalley index.

Have not found a marriage for James and Mary or a death for James

Note for Ammonite : The DMM is closed until Easter next year, no contact e mail addy.  I would like to ask them to put the data right with regard to Charles (junior)

Margaret

Offline stroudie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Quick reply, as about to go out. I too have checked the TVI and note both Joseph Bradleys. I have phoned the registratr and agreed to buy a certificate and I have the details for both.

Joseph Bradley b 1857 reg Guisborough was acually born in Coatham (Redcar, some distance from Guisbro). He is son of John and Frances and John is a blacksmith.

Joseph Bradley b 1855 Guisborough, cert is exactly the same except dob, so this is an earlier child that died.

There are no other registrations of a Joseph Bradley in Guisbro for that period.

So...it would appear that Joseph Bradley apparent son of Mary & James is either unregistered or not under that name.

Offline ammonite

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Note for Ammonite : The DMM is closed until Easter next year, no contact e mail addy.  I would like to ask them to put the data right with regard to Charles (junior)

I'm glad it wasn't a website that you had come across before, even if the info was wrong.  It's a shame though it was wrong!!!! ;D  Now all you have to do is remember at Easter to contact them, maybe in the mean time they will get more information.
Jelly:Rutland/ Leics,
Barnes: Surrey, Gloucs
Claydon: Lincs, Suffolk,
Faulkner, Cooling, Cook, Crampton, Pask, Gresham: Lincs
Reid, Mundy: Liverpool and Cumberland
Brownhill, Middlesex, Derbyshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Quick reply, as about to go out. I too have checked the TVI and note both Joseph Bradleys. I have phoned the registratr and agreed to buy a certificate and I have the details for both.

Joseph Bradley b 1857 reg Guisborough was acually born in Coatham (Redcar, some distance from Guisbro). He is son of John and Frances and John is a blacksmith.

Joseph Bradley b 1855 Guisborough, cert is exactly the same except dob, so this is an earlier child that died.

There are no other registrations of a Joseph Bradley in Guisbro for that period.

So...it would appear that Joseph Bradley apparent son of Mary & James is either unregistered or not under that name.

Oh dearie me  ::)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I will check the FindMyPast 1841 census index tomorrow for a John Smith in Yorkshire, FindMyPast off line tonight for maintenance, 1901online had at least one in Guisborough, age about 43 but I don't have vouchers to check the image.

If Mary is Burnside/Bradley where did she get the Smith from and a father John Smith.

If Mary had an affair with Charles Grout after the 1861 census - culminating in the birth of a son Charles in May 1863 - she was certainly very confused about names giving the father as Charles Grouth Smith on registration and herself as Mary Smith formerly Smith.  But when she had him baptised a few days later the parish register records him as Charles Groat son of Mary Smith a single woman.

Perhaps she was prepared to "stretch the truth" to the authorities, but lying to the church was another matter all together!

Even at her marriage she maintains she is a single woman Mary Smith.

The first Joseph Bradley birth registered June quarter 1855 Guisborough, is probably the Joseph Bradley who died Sept quarter 1856 registered Guisborough

Margaret

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 22:24 GMT (UK) »
There's lots to think about here and no ready answers  ::)

I wondered about Joseph Wingrove Smith- where does Wingrove come from  :-\
I wonder if Smith is another little diversion.

Looking for Joseph Wingrove -Ancestry has an 1860 criminal record entry with imprisonment but I can't access it- wrong membership.  :(  It is in North Riding.

1851 HO107; Piece: 2345; Folio: 308; Page: 13
Joseph Wingrove (looks as though it could be Wingrow) 36 yrs windower
living in Maltby with parents in law Greensmiths.
This is Rotherham area though so doesn't look right.

1841 he is in Matlby- Wingrow  :(