Author Topic: CAMPBELL of Iskaheen  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CAMPBELL of Iskaheen
« on: Wednesday 02 December 09 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Iam looking for information or help as to where I could go to trace where records of  my great great great Grandfather William Campbell'sbaptism may be. All I know from Derry City Cemetery Records is that William Campbell died in 1865 in Derry.  He was born in  Iskaheen,Muff  Co. Donegal in 1807. His fathers'name was Joseph Campbell. 

Could any one tell me where I could research this further.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Summerhill

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove excess capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<< , Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: CAMPBELL OF ISKAHEEN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Summerhill
                     In the Griffiths Valuation Table for Three Trees (Muff aka Iskaheen) there is a John Campbell listed. As far as I know he lived in a place in Three Trees called Gortnamona. I do not know if this is a help or not but it may be a starting point for something else. :-\.

If you should get any more information re this person could you please get in touch as it may also be of some interest to me.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 May 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bald eagle,

Thanks so much for answering my post.  I have acopy of a marriage certificate for John Campbell who married a Rose Doherty in Iskaheen Roman Catholic Church on 10th May,1887. Johns Occupation was listed as a Royal Artillery Gunner,waterside Barracks. fathers name James Campbell who was an engineer.  While Rose Doherty was from Culmore , fathers name Joseph Doherty, Deceased.  So could that possibly be the John Campbell listed in the census??

if you PM me with your email address Iwill forward it to you.

Regards,

Summerhill.

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 May 10 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Summerhill
                     To be honest I am unsure. Have you been to Lindel Buckley's site. On it there is listed 2 Campbell families in the Baptismal Records for St Patrick's RC Church Iskaheen. 1 John Campbell and wife Sally or Sarah Sharkey (3 children being baptised between 1858 and 1873) Carrowkeel Moville. 2 Joseph Campbell and wife Elizabeth Carolan (2 children being baptised 1868 and 1870) Drumhaggert, Burt.
What is odd here is none of this fits with the G.V.

In a book I have there is some information re infants being registered in the National School Ture and one entry reads :- 1888 14th May, Annie Campbell , age 5 ,RC ,Meedenmore (means of living of parents = Sailor. This fits o.k with G.V. as Meedenmore is the next townland to Gortnamona.

What you can make from that I have no idea and I hope I have not made things worse for you.

My interest in this is in the surnames Campbell and McCallion and living in the same area as the Campbells I have mentioned here is a number of McCallion families who at some point in time used the name Campbell for some reason. Historically theses two names have a common root and I was wondering if you had came across the name McCalllion being used by your family group?

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 May 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that interesting information.  I will look into theMcCallion variant as well. But as far as I know there always have been Campbells. In Muff Church of Ireland , there is a lady buried there who is the wife of Joseph Campbell.  Also in Culmore methodist church there are a numberof Campbells buried there too.  Please see them on Lindel Buckleys site.

It is like hitting abrick wall at the moment, but I will keep trying. I will keep you posted.