Author Topic: COPP or COP in Devon or Dorset  (Read 7324 times)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COPP or COP in Devon or Dorset
« on: Friday 04 December 09 02:29 GMT (UK) »
http://roy1939.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=roy1939&view=0&pid=5933&rand=202927779

Looking for information on Robert Copp. I begin with Christopher Hussey and Elizabeth Allen in Bridport, Dorset who christened their son Robert Copp Hussey. Elizabeth b. 1804 was the daughter of John Allen and Mary Cop. Mary was the daughter of Robert and Martha Copp. All this is Extracted IGI.  From here IGI is submitted and somewhat confusing. Robert Copp was christened 12th May 1748 Uplyme Devon and married the same day.
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: COPP or COP in Devon or Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 December 09 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aussie Roy,

I have COPP in my direct family line.... namely an Elizabeth COPP bap: 31 May 1782 in Brixham Devon who married in Brixham Devon 1808 James MOORE chr: 1780 Seaton & Beer Devon.  They had 5 daughters & two sons to my knowledge.

Also an Elkanah COPP, b: 12 Mar 1784 in Tiverton, Devon, son of John COPP and Jane (unknown) who married Sarah CARTER(twin) b:  21 Dec  1788 in Tiverton Devon.
(CARTER family were from Otterton Devon - quite large families from all accounts & have been told descendents are still living there).

Also note you have MASON from London.  Wonder if they are connected to my George MASON b: 1810 London who came first to Australia on the Vansittart as a sailor, worked there, before finally settling in Okains Bay, Banks Peninsula NZ.  Believe his father was also George, a langscape painter & his mother Mary Ann unknown.

Be most interested to hear back from you.

Tiffaney NZ

More of the COPP family & connections are on my forum at:
http://moorefromseaton.proboards.com/index.cgi where you need to register to view.
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Could Administrator kindly delete this message please - looks as tho' I have doubled up.  thank you Tiff.

Hello Aussie Roy,

I have COPP in my direct family line.... namely an Elizabeth COPP bap: 31 May 1782 in Brixham Devon who married in Birxham Devon 1808 James MOORE chr: 1780 Seaton & Beer Devon.  They had 5 daughters & two sons to my knowledge.

Also an Elkanah COPP, b: 12 Mar 1784 in Tiverton, Devon, son of John COPP and Jane (unknown) who married Sarah CARTER(twin) b:  21 Dec  1788 in Tiverton Devon.
(CARTER family were from Otterton Devon - quite large families from all accounts & have been told descendents are still living there).

Also note you have MASON from London.  Wonder if they are connected to my George MASON b: 1810 London who came first to Australia on the Vansittart as a sailor, worked there, before finally settling in Okains Bay, Banks Peninsula NZ.  Believe his father was also George, a langscape painter & his mother Mary Ann unknown.

Be most interested to hear back from you.

Tiffaney NZ

More of the COPP family & connections are on my forum at:
http://moorefromseaton.proboards.com/index.cgi where you need to register to view.
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi Tiffany, interesting that we have names in common, but in both cases I can find no connection. Perhaps if we could trace back further we might find a liink/ Roy ???
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline nika

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 10 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ausie Roy,
I have a Clarissa COPP, in East Devon, in an off-shoot from my Tedbury family.
Clarissa COPP was baptised in 1818 and married Thomas Tedbury HAVILL in 1840 in East Budleigh, East Devon. She may not be part of your family as her father was I think Reuben (b abt 1784 in Littleham, East Devon), his father, also I think) was William (b abt 1753 in Whimple, East Devon) and his father was John (1721) but thought you might like the info as it may give you a further starting point. (The "border" between East Devon and Dorset changed periodically.) Uplyme and East Budleigh are about 30-40 k apart.)
Nika

Hi Tiffaney,
The CARTER family is also part of my offshoot tree of the TEDBURYs and yes, they were and are a huge family and still thriving in East Devon. One of  them was christened Walter Raleigh Carter (Carters and the Raleighs were related) in 1856 in India (while his parents were there) and I think he died in 1937 in Maunu, New Zealand.
Nika
Hampshire: Holford, Philpott, Millard, Wilson
Cambridgeshire: Nation
Wales:Tedbury, Ayres
Devon:Tedbury, Copplestone, Tolman, Hill, Lugg, Hellings, Pomeroy, Carter
London/Middlesex: Abrahams, Aldridge, Squire, Plummer
Kent: Kenny, Hood, Farmer, Flood, McDowell, Lambeth, Ledger, Ladd, Lockwood, Veal, Bagg
Ireland: Kenny, Corbett, Clarke
Derbyshire: Hood, Clark, Stacey, Cawthorne, Watmough,

Offline paulco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nika,
I can confirm much of the Copp information you give. Do you have more information on the Tedbury's? Thomas Tedbury Havill was daughter of Sarah Tedbury (married Richard Havill) who was daughter of Isaac Tedbury the miller.  I cannot find baptisms / parents for either Isaac or his wife Jane (Jenny) Harden.
Paul

Offline nika

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 February 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul and welcome to RootsChat!
Isaac TEDBURY, son of Robert TEDBURY and Mary, was born in 1767 in Withycombe Raleigh.  Isaac was baptised on 27 December 1767 in Withycombe Raleigh.  He married Jane also know as Janey or Jenny HARDEN on 23 October 1792 in Littleham (Exmouth) Devon.  Isaac died on 15 April 1832 in East Budleigh , Devon and was buried on 27 April 1832 in East Budleigh. 
Jane also know as Janey HARDEN died on 17 November 1839 in East Budleigh and is also buried in East Budleigh in the same grave as Isaac. I have no baptism for her either.

Issac and Jenny are direct ancestors through their son Thomas who married Deborah COPPLESTONE. Are you a descendant of the Tedbury's? I have loads of info on them which I am happy to share.
Regards,
Nika
Hampshire: Holford, Philpott, Millard, Wilson
Cambridgeshire: Nation
Wales:Tedbury, Ayres
Devon:Tedbury, Copplestone, Tolman, Hill, Lugg, Hellings, Pomeroy, Carter
London/Middlesex: Abrahams, Aldridge, Squire, Plummer
Kent: Kenny, Hood, Farmer, Flood, McDowell, Lambeth, Ledger, Ladd, Lockwood, Veal, Bagg
Ireland: Kenny, Corbett, Clarke
Derbyshire: Hood, Clark, Stacey, Cawthorne, Watmough,

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 10 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ausie Roy,
I have a Clarissa COPP, in East Devon, in an off-shoot from my Tedbury family.
Clarissa COPP was baptised in 1818 and married Thomas Tedbury HAVILL in 1840 in East Budleigh, East Devon. She may not be part of your family as her father was I think Reuben (b abt 1784 in Littleham, East Devon), his father, also I think) was William (b abt 1753 in Whimple, East Devon) and his father was John (1721) but thought you might like the info as it may give you a further starting point. (The "border" between East Devon and Dorset changed periodically.) Uplyme and East Budleigh are about 30-40 k apart.)
Nika

Hi Tiffaney,
The CARTER family is also part of my offshoot tree of the TEDBURYs and yes, they were and are a huge family and still thriving in East Devon. One of  them was christened Walter Raleigh Carter (Carters and the Raleighs were related) in 1856 in India (while his parents were there) and I think he died in 1937 in Maunu, New Zealand.
Nika

Hi again Nika,
Very interested to learn more about your Carters in Devon if possible please.

Thankyou,
Tiffaney

Offline paulco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul and welcome to RootsChat!
Isaac TEDBURY, son of Robert TEDBURY and Mary, was born in 1767 in Withycombe Raleigh.  Isaac was baptised on 27 December 1767 in Withycombe Raleigh.  He married Jane also know as Janey or Jenny HARDEN on 23 October 1792 in Littleham (Exmouth) Devon.  Isaac died on 15 April 1832 in East Budleigh , Devon and was buried on 27 April 1832 in East Budleigh. 
Jane also know as Janey HARDEN died on 17 November 1839 in East Budleigh and is also buried in East Budleigh in the same grave as Isaac. I have no baptism for her either.

Issac and Jenny are direct ancestors through their son Thomas who married Deborah COPPLESTONE. Are you a descendant of the Tedbury's? I have loads of info on them which I am happy to share.
Regards,
Nika

Hi Nika,
Thanks for info. My cousin Geoff and I are also descended from Isaac via daughter Sarah. We are very interested in more information on the Tedbury's. The following link is to the page for Isaac on his website: http://www.geoffnutting.me.uk/havilltree/isaactedbury.htm. If you go to his home page you can contact him and we can continue the discussion.
Regards,
Paul