Author Topic: McKay family  (Read 4309 times)

Offline maplefudge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKay family
« on: Sunday 06 December 09 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've done a bit of research on my english ancestors, but now I'm moving along to my 4X g-grandmother who was from Scotland, and I feel a bit in the dark about where to search. Here is the information I have so far:

Hugh McKay, b. abt. 1806, Sutherland, Scotland
Mary KcKenzie, b. abt. 1801, sutherland, Scotland
daughter Margaret, b. abt. 1828, sutherland
daughter, Ann, b. 1832, Sutherland

after they immigrate to Canada, Hugh seems to be married to Hughina and there are two more children, Mary McKay (b. about 1843), and John, born about 1850/51 both in Scotland. Everyone except first wife are in Canada on the 1852 census.

I would like to find Scottish parish information on any of the births, marriage information for Hugh and Mary and Hugh and Hughina; also death information on Hugh's first wife, Mary McKay. Hugh and Hughina both died in the late 1880's in Ontario, Canada. I'm not sure where to look for any of the Scottish information, or what would be available.

thanks so much,

maplefudge
 :) :) :)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: McKay family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 09 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maplefudge,

Have you tried Familysearch.org? ( the Mormon data base) I usually use the I.G.I. option.

Mackay is a very common surname in Sutherland and Hugh is a fairly common first name, so you may find numerous "hits" when you search. You may have better luck finding the right couple if you enter them as husband and wife, or father and mother.

You could also try the Government site, which I think is called Scotlands People. I don't use it myself so I am unsure.

Do you have any idea of the Parish?

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi maplefudge, I had a quick look for your hugh and mary, didnt find them on the igi but I did find a hugh and mary at badcal, edrachillis, sutherland on the 1841 census with margaret 10, ann 9 and neil 6.
Scotlands People is good for birth, marriage and death info you have to pay to view which is okay as long as you are pretty sure you have found the right people!   Ancestry.com is for census info and family trees ( you need to check the info you get from the trees)
Yo can also find good links just by browsing through some of the postings on rootschat.

Happy Hunting

Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline maplefudge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 09 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the info, it seems as if my McKay family left cookie crumbs for someone like me to follow on their travels from Eddrachillis Parish in Sutherland, Scotland  to Ontario, Canada. I would still like to contact the local parish in Eddrachillis, Sutherland. I'm sure I could find the mailing address and write to them with the information that I have gathered.

thanks for your input,

maplefudge

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 09 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, try googling sutherland county family history scotland otherwise you may get a lot of links with people called sutherland ::)

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi maplefudge,

When registration of B, D & M became mandatory in the mid-19th century (1855, I think), many of the parish registers were deposited in Edinburgh. Later, extractions of these records and the post-1855 records were entered in the Familysearch.org data base.

If you wish to look at the Edrachillis extractions only, try using this searching tool.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/

The instructions are fairly easy to follow.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline walker_mckay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McKay family - Muskoka?
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 10 00:28 GMT (UK) »
If you have a West Zorra connection, you'll want to look at County Sutherland at Yahoo! groups. There was a good deal posted about MacKays in that township (also Embro) as well as Mackenzie material.

Did your Hughina die 31 Jan 1888? If so, please look at this link:

http://www.robinsancestry.com/f264.htm

The person mounting the information has Hugh born in Badnaby, Eddrachillis, Sutherland. Hughina's maiden name is listed as Morrison.

You may also want to have a look at www.archive.org and type in Scottish Record Society. You'll get several volumes, the one for Durness is Volume 26. It has a search engine.

Good luck,

Inez

(still shifting through my Morrison/McKay connections in Sutherland, Caithness)