Author Topic: Yeandle Family in Brighton  (Read 2737 times)

Offline ClareV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Yeandle Family in Brighton
« on: Thursday 10 December 09 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Researching the Yeandle family in Brighton, East Sussex -  in particular George Henry Yeandle born 1909 in Brighton who married Elsie May Verlander.

Verlander   - Colchester, Suffolk, London, Kent, Sussex
Holley        - Kent, Sussex
Hodges     - Sussex
Ridge        - Sussex
Yeandle    - Sussex

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Yeandle Family in Brighton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 10 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat  :)

What information are you after?  Do you know who Georges parents are and have you found the family on the 1911 census if so could you please post details.

Rosie 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 July 10 17:35 BST (UK) »
George appears to have been born in the Brentford district in 1909 not Brighton
 (ref Brentford Sept quarter 1909, 3a 101)   but he did marry Elsie in Brighton in 1936. 

Although there are no other Bentford Yeandles on FreeBMD around that period, George's family still look to have remained in BRENTFORD until the 1911 census.
Without buying the certificate all I can say is that the family appear to be:
Arthur W born 1875  (says born Brighton)
Louisa born 1873
Doris 1903  (possibly born in the Farnham District)
Adam 1906  (No birth found on FreeBMD)
And possibly a grandmother called May born 1847

GRO record has Arthur W Yeandle marrying Louisa Parry in Brighton in 1896
1901 census has the couple in Fulham where Arthur is a carriage fitter with no children.
Louisa is listed as having been born in London, Middlesex.
(Note.  The Yeandel surname sometimes apears in the indexes spelt with an le, or an el)
Arthur Yeandle's birth in Brighton appears in the March quarter of 1875. (ref 2b 236)

There is no Arthur Yeandel in Sussex on the 1881 census, but there is a significant family of that surname headed by Thomas & Elizabeth and living in William Street.  It is my belief the surname of Arthur's family has been mistranscribed in the LDS Indexes.

Perhaps getting copies of the 1911, 1901, 1891 censuses, and the birth and marriage certificate mentioned above should be your start point.
You can also try making contact with a considerable number of people on Genes Reunited who record their Yeandel/Yeandle ancestors were born in Brighton.  Three of them have Arthur 1875 and one even has your George in Brentford
Roy G

Offline Sarahlakin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 December 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare,

I am also researching the Yeandle family in Brighton, in particular Doris Yeandle. In regards to George Yeandle, this was actually my mother's great Uncle and godfather. Arthur and Louisa Yeandle (George's parents) are actually buried in Hove cemetary, Old Shoreham Road. Any further information you have on the Yeandle family would be great, so do get in touch.

Thanks

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 December 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Quite a rare name. Captain Stephen Safford Yeandle, US Coast Guard, is the most famous one in America. The name in Mississippi 1830's.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=49340095

Offline Sarahlakin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 December 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare,

It' Sarah again (regarding George Yeandle conection). Got your message but it's not letting me reply on my message section. If you'd like to talk a bit more then do send me another private message with your email address, so I can reply.

In regards to George Yeandle, I do believe that this is the same gentleman but we need to double check Elsie's maiden name. She re-married in the 1970's to a George Brown, and died a few years ago. She lived in Hollingdean, Brighton and was my Mum's great Aunt by marriage. Does this make any sense to you?

Sarah