Author Topic: Western Sydney Records Centre  (Read 1361 times)

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Western Sydney Records Centre
« on: Sunday 13 December 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if anyone is going to the Western Sydney Records Centre
143 O'Connell Street, Kingswood soon to look up any records for themselves  and whether they would be able to look up a divorce record for me.

It is the co-respondent that is a family member not the petitioners. I am interested to see what information there might be on the co-respondent.

Does anyone know what information can be expected in a document of this type

The divorce was in 1900 and is on the NSW Archives website.

Many Thanks

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Western Sydney Records Centre
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 09 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

................ Does anyone know what information can be expected in a document of this type.............

I ordered a copy of the divorce papers  for one of my forebears....  I received nearly 100 A4 pages .... these files are a wealth of information.... there was no co-respondent the the particular divorce that interested MOI...  They had married in NSW 1910, child of the marriage 1911, three years of separation resulted in a petition for divorce from the FEMALE in 1914... Supreme court granted her petition in 1915 and custody of the child to her,  and all costs of the proceedings to HIM ...  I've "even" got the audited account of those costs...  Plus the "transcript" of the Supreme Court hearing....  I found it very interesting, confirming much oral history, and matching handwriting to private family records ...

I can only imagine that a file for a divorce with co-respondent mentioned may have many more pages to it than the one I received... errr.... except of course that in my instance the divorce application was contested by the husband .....  not sure why, he had quit their relationship three years previously  ;D

Cheers,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.