Author Topic: Clarissa Catherine Boyle  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Gearoidin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clarissa Catherine Boyle
« on: Monday 14 December 09 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Has anyone come across Clarissa Catherine Boyle, b. circa 1846 (most likely India), married in 1860 (in India) George Albert CLAUDIUS. Her father's name is given as Henry on the marriage record. I've searched the BL/IOR and all other search engines I can think of, but no such luck as to where she was actually born. I think her parents could be Henry Emanuel BOYLE and Josephine D'Silva, but I would like to have this confirmed. The latter two people married in 1835 in India.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Gearoidin

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clarissa Catherine Boyle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 December 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You say she was born about 1846 and married in 1860 - so was about 14 at marriage?  What happened to the CLAUDIUS couple after their marriage - do they appear in later records and did they ever live in the UK? Does the marriage record give other useful information such as father's occupation and/or names of witnesses?

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 December 09 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Has anyone come across Clarissa Catherine Boyle, b. circa 1846 (most likely India), married in 1860 (in India) George Albert CLAUDIUS.

I see from an old Rootsweb thread (which may be yours) that Clarissa was said to be 16 upon her marriage in July 1860, putting her likely birthdate closer to 1844 than 1846.

Was Clarissa a Roman Catholic, so far as you know?  If the BOYLE family were Catholics that may explain the lack of baptisms on the IGI (LDS) site.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Gearoidin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna,
Thank you for spotting that mistake with the age for Clarissa Catherine Boyle. I was getting confused with another great-grandmother of mine. Anyway, to answer your question, yes there were several children, all born in India whose details I have. The marriage was by banns and took place in a church, whose name is not quite clear on the copy of the record, but looks like Belgaum in Black Town, Madras. George Albert Claudius was Church of England, but it could be that Clarissa's Family are Roman Catholic, although I do have a copy of the marriage record for her possible parents, i.e. Henry Emanuel Boyle & Josephine D'Silva, but once again, the copy doesn't show the name of the church. I shall just have to hope that I strike lucky soon, but if she was a Catholic then maybe I won't be so lucky.
Gearoidin