Author Topic: Smith's of Daviot Inveness  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smith's of Daviot Inveness
« on: Wednesday 16 December 09 20:17 GMT (UK) »
  :-\I'm trying to find any information on Alexander Smith of Daviot in Inverness-shire Scotland who married Catherine Rose about 1796. They had 7 children, Andrew, William, Finlay, Alexander, Hugh, Isabel and Catherine. I'm looking for dates of birth and death for both Alexander and Catherine as well as any information on their parents. Thanks for any help!

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Smith's of Daviot Inveness
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

There are no parish burial records for this parish, so you may have to rely on other sources - if they exist - for an indication of death/burial: testaments, memorial inscriptions or mort cloth records in the Kirk Sessions.  As far as I know only the testaments  - if one was left - are online.  Rural parishes often did not record any burials in the parish registers.  :(

Baptisms/birth also only start on 1774 in this parish - you may find yourself unlucky.

Presumably you have checked - and exhausted - the records at ScotlandsPeople (official site for the OPR records)?

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smith's of Daviot Inveness
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell. I haven't tried that site yet but I will see if I can find anything there.