Author Topic: MARYCHURCH of Haverfordwest / Pembroke  (Read 5599 times)

Offline alan_t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARYCHURCH of Haverfordwest / Pembroke
« on: Sunday 20 December 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hey there.

I'm searching for the lineage of a 4th great-grandparent which traces back to Pembroke.

Ann MARYCHURCH was born there and married a John RUSSELL in Clifton, Bristol in 1812.

I'm trying to link Ann MARYCHURCH (born in the late 1700s) to her direct antecedents in the MARYCHURCH family in (Haverfordwest?) Pembroke (according to an 1841 Pembroke census where her son William RUSSELL, wife Sarah RUSSELL and baby Mary RUSSELL are lodging with her relatives, Thomas and Mary MARYCHURCH).

Does anyone have access to / public link to the parish records for St Mary (hence the surname Marychurch, I am told) in Pembroke to provide the missing link.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Alan

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: MARYCHURCH of Haverfordwest / Pembroke
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
From my transcription of the parish registers of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to 1950’s I note the following ;
Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register for 1748 to 1812
14 July 1782 Ann to William & Ann Marychurch baptized
27 July 1774 Elizabeth to William & Mary Marychurch baptized
30 Mar 1769/70 Jane to Wm & Anne Marychurch a Twin baptized
30 Mar 1769/70 Mary to Wm & Anne Marychurch a Twin baptized
I note a number of other Marychurch baptisms in this register.

From my transcription of the Pembroke St Mary Marriage register for the period 1748 to 1770 I note ;
12 Feb 1758/59 Wllm Marychurch to Ann Howell
This is the only mrge of a Marychurch in this register

From my transcription of the Pembroke St Mary Burial register 1748 to 1812, I can confirm there are no Marychurch burials listed.

Excuse me while I pontificate for a few moments. Pre 1748 there is only one register which was called “The Register of the Three Parishes”, this covers the parishes of Pembroke St Mary, Pembroke St Michael and Monkton St Nicholas for the period 1711 to 1744. No matter what anyone (however senior) ever says to you, I can tell you that none of the pages are entitled to an identified parish. Some people will tell you its all Pembroke St Mary ~ absolutely wrong. I have been over time able to ident certain pages to a parish however over the following hundred or so years it is quite clear that that certain families had baptism in 1, 2 or more churches with in the town environs, so just because we can ident a family to a parish on one page it does not mean that all other pages they are listed on can be ident’d to the same parish. Pontification over.
From my transcription of “The Register of the 3 Parishes” Baptism 1711 to 1744 ;
Page 74 unident to parish 17 Apr 1733 A son name lost to James and Hannah Marichurch baptized
Page 60 unident to parish 21 Mar 1728/29 James to James Marychurch baptized
Page 42 probably Pembroke St Michael 08 Sept 1724 Solamon to James Marychurch
Page 52 unident to parish 16 Dec 1726 John to James Marychurch
There may be a number of other entries that are totally unreadable but these are all that can be currently deciphered.
It would be well worth your trouble visiting the NLoW and viewing the B.T.'s for this period to see if any further info can be added to here shown.

From my transcription of the Marriages of this register 1711 to 1744 I can detect no Marychurch entries.

From my transcription of the Burials of this register 1711 to 1744 I can only one entry that is ;
Page 101 Identified at Pembroke St Mary 09 Apr 1743/44 John Marichurch buried

From my index of Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1678 to 1763 I note ;
14 Jan 1760 Wm Marychurch a Corvisor listed as Burgess in Borough Minutes.

I have index’d Burgess of Pembroke Borough for a separate source which goes to make up my 2nd listing of Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1711 to 2006.
Solomon Marychurch a Taylor of Haverfordwest made burgess 28 Oct 1811 Admin Bk 14 Page 28 Minute Bk page 333
Thomas Marychurch a shoemaker of Pembroke made burgess in 1832
William Marychurch a Covisor made burgess 14 Jan 1760 Admin Bk 1 Page 17
There is no further information listed in books noted than is here shown.

Have you consulted the wills proven at the E.C.C. of St Davids for the following
Elinor Marychurch of Haverfordwest St Mary 1753/31
Elinor Marychurch of Haverfordwest St Mary 1756/24
John Marychurch of Llawhaden 1749/52
All are freely available on the NLoW website.

From my transcription of the Borough Accounts for the period 1824 ~ 1835 I note
28 June 1830 Paid Thomas Marychurch for getting petition as per removal of our Sessions as perbill and receipt No 42 5/-
27 June 1835 Paid Thomas Marychurch sundry sums laid out by him in repairs and improving the Slaughterhouse as per receipt No 41 £1-1-6.
06 Oct 1835 Paid Thomas Marychurch for sums expensed on the Slaughterhouse as per receipt No 61 9/1
23 Oct 1835 Paid Thomas Marychurch his bill for sundries for the Slaughterhouse as per receipt No 27 12/5
23 Oct 1835 Paid for receipt stamp for Messr Marychurch & Froyne ¼ rent due 25 instant 1/-
23 Dec 1835 By cash of Messrs Marychurch & Froyne the amount their ¼ rent due for the tolls of the Market & the slaughterhouse on the 25th Inst £24-10-00
The stamp brought on the 23rd was for to be signed over by relevant parties when the Marychurch and Froynes paid over their large amount in rent.

I trust the above is of some interest to your research, if you believe I can assist further please let me know.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline alan_t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much, Orielbenfro.

That's a sterling amount of information and the pontification is welcomed!

I found the wills on NLoW (helpful for lineage and interesting to see who was a disfavoured child!).

I'm now in the process of making the MARYCHURCH jigsaw.

Very, very grateful.
Alan

Offline earthdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 May 13 15:49 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this will fit into your Marychurch family at all, but the name appears in a will I've just been looking at, that of John Hitchings from Saint Michael's parish in Pembroke. The will is dated 27 September 1779, and probate was granted 9 September 1786.

In particular, "I give unto Mary Marychurch Twenty pound". So that'll be a Mary Marychurch who was alive in 1779. I hope that's of some interest.

Here's the transcription of the will (which resides a National Library of Wales with reference SD/1786/186):

In the Name of God Amen I Thomas Hitchings of the / parish of Saint Michaels in the Town of Pembroke Do / make and declare this to my last Will and Testament / First I desire that my body might be buried in Saint / Michaels church near my father & my sister and as to / my worldly Estate I dispose of it as follows — I Give / unto my Cousin Mary Rossant and Elizabeth Rossant / both daughter of the late William Rossant Twenty / pound each I give unto Martha Shipley and Elizabeth / Hitchings both daughters of Henry Hitchings late of / Ermigate Ten pound each — I give unto Elizabeth Jones / wife of Benjamin Jones Ten pound – I give unto / Martha Raymond Ten pounds – I give unto Mary / Marychurch Twenty pound – I give unto Frances Owens / daughter of the late John Owens of Saint Florences – / Ten pounds – All which Legacies I desire and direct / to be paid within three months after my decease — / I Give unto my cousin John Hitchings son of George / Hitchings of Bosheston my two houses and four chases / or fields of land which I possess in the parish of / Saint Michaels Pembroke And to his heirs for Ever / And after payment of my Debts Legacies & funeral / Expenses I give all the remainder of my real & personal / Estate unto my said cousin John Hitchings son / of George Hitchings and to his heirs for Ever — In / Testimony whereof I declare this to be my last Will / and Testament this twenty seventh day of September / One thousand seven hundred and Seventy nine appointing / my said cousin John Hitchings sole Executor thereof / Signed Sealed published / and declared by the said Testator / in our presences & who have / also signed it in his presence / & the presences of each other – / Mary Dunn / Abrm Leach / John Russell / Thos Hitchings / Let this Will be registered and / Administration of all and singular the Goods Chattels / and Credits of Thomas Hitchings late of the Parish / of Saint Michaels in the Town of Pembroke the / within named Testator deceased be granted / and committed to John Hitchings of the Parish / of Burton in the County of Pembroke Farmer / the within named sole Executor He being / duly sworn thereto before me this Ninth / Day of September in the year of our Lord / 1786 Wm Tasker Surrogate

Offline earthdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 13 15:56 BST (UK) »
It's not apparent from the transcription I just pasted in that "and Elizabeth Rossant both" and the subsequent "each" are struck through on the will.