Author Topic: Changi POW  (Read 6266 times)

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Changi POW
« on: Monday 21 December 09 03:21 GMT (UK) »
I recently purchased a beautiful handmade tin box from a deceased estate, apparently made by a POW in Changi during WWII. I'd like to try and find out more about the chap, alas, I only know his name - William BOYES (either British or Australian).

Any ideas where I might start to search? I'm at a loss.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Changi POW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 December 09 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff  :)

The Australian WW2 records index can be searched online at the National Archives:
http://naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

There are a couple of William BOYES in the index, but without purchasing a copy of the documents (or going to the NAA and viewing them in person) there's no way of knowing which one might be yours.

I'm sure there will be an Armed Forces expert along soon who can help you more  :)

Cheers
Prue

Added:  Info about researching British Changi POWs:
http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/changi_research.html

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 09 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Only one of the Australian Boyes was a POW and he died in July 1945. And he was indeed held in Changi for a while:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-pa-http%253A%252F%252Fcas.awm.gov.au%252Fphotograph%252FP02468.411

K

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 December 09 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Good find, kyt  :D

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 December 09 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Nice leads.....thanks for the assistance. It's very much apprecaited. That gives me somewhere to start.

Regards & All the Best for Christmas.
Jeff

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 December 09 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Here are the Boyes from WO392/23. Jap PoW lists

Offline jeanie27

• I am sorry but my inbox is full I am not picking up new messages
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 December 09 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Just a little to add to the above:

W. H. Boyes was Wilfred Hayden so unlikely to be the maker of the box. Sgt William Boyes was captured in Hong Kong so was never in Changi, likewise W. J. L. Boyes who was held in Hong Kong. The only one of the list of British prisoners that it could be is third on the list, Driver Boyes who was captured in Singapore and therefore would have been in Changi.

I don't have full access to the Australian records so can't speak of any Boyes who may have served and returned home. The William Boyes mentioned above was in Changi but he died on the Sandakan death march. It is unlikely that any of his personal possessions found their way home.

Offline stuarthowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello there
I am aware this post is quite old but have only just come across it. I am researching my wife's grandfather who was a POW in Japan by the name of William Boyes. He was the sgt listed on the POW lists and was captured at Hong Kong so not at Changi. I was curious as to why you thought he may be Australian as although British, my William Boyes is listed as being Australian on several Pow lists when he was imprisoned at camp Sendai 10-b due to his family living in Australia at the time of his capture. My William Boyes died alone up in Leeds in 1983 at the general infirmary following a collision with a car, so if the estate sale was anywhere near there, it could be a connection. As I prefaced, I know the initial post was several years ago but if you do still have the box and any of this information tallies please get in contact.
All the best
Stuart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Stuart,
You certainly test the memory!! I'm afraid I can give little further information to what I listed in my initial post. I recall the chap that I purchased it from was not sure if William was Australian or English. He knew enough to be certain the box was made in Changi. I can no longer remember why this even came up at the sale and don't recall there was a relationship between William and the salesman, though I very much doubt family would relinquish such a piece of their history. There's something in the back of my mind that William had no family...but I can't be sure anymore. The sale was in Lake Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia.
I started searching on a William Benyon Boyes that died in NSW in April 2009 as it may have fit with an estate sale, however I never confirmed if he was ever in Changi.
The box is now long gone, given as a gift.....with the history as known at the time included.
Kind regards,
Jeff