Author Topic: BYRNE/NEILL marriage Co Wexford  (Read 8640 times)

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andy BYRNE and Peggy NEILL, Oulart, Co Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
The above couple had children Patrick, Matthew, Mary, James and Thomas - all baptised in Oulart around the 1830s.  Trying to trace these families.  Matthew married Frances Jordan in Enniscorthy in 1874 (2nd marriage) and migrated to Australia.  Any help would be appreciated.
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: BYRNE/NEILL marriage Co Wexford
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 19:49 BST (UK) »
To search forward with a very common surname like Byrne is going to be very difficult with the limited information on early parish records - only option is searching for later Byrne marriages and seeing if they can be connected to this family, by matching the townland, witnesses etc.

The town of Oulart is in the civil parish of Meelnagh (sometimes listed as Millenagh or Melina) and in the 1830s with several other civil parishes was part of the RC parish union of Ballagh/Oulart. Baptism and marriage records for the parish go back to about 1837.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
referring back to the townland mentioned earlier i.e. Slievenagrane, it's in the Civil parish of Castle-Ellis, which was one of those included in the RC parish of The Ballagh/Oolart.

No sign of any [O']Byrnes or [O']Neills in the townland at the time of Griffith's valuation in 1853, which may have helped follow the family forward. Maybe the family later moved from the area ?

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Found Slievengrane on the map, and I guess this could be translated from bad handwriting as Slinegrawn.  It's in the same vicinity as Oulart so it's a good possibility.

The older cemetery could be the one to start looking in, although the family could have moved anywhere - as Matthew BYRNE migrated to Australia.

I have family who lived in Slievenagrane they married in Oulart but they are burried in Castle Ellis graveyard  not Oulart, so don't overlook that one if you are checking graveyards.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 17:00 BST (UK) »
I am staying in and around Oulart currently.  Do you know specifically where the Castle-Ellis graveyard is?  Haven't seen it whilst driving around.
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
Have to go back to Australia next week, so any clues while I'm in the area would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
Castleellis graveyard seems to be just east of the village, to the north of the R744. The older OSI maps show a church (CofI) at the location, which now seems to be gone. The laneway to the graveyard appears to be close to a monument to the rebellion of 1798

see : Castleellis church & graveyard   (c1890 OSI map)
          possible entrance to graveyard   (Google street view)
My Surname Interests

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 17:47 BST (UK) »
Have just found Castle-Ellis on a map, so will take a look at the graveyard if I can find it, on Friday.

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
Castleellis graveyard seems to be just east of the village, to the north of the R744. The older OSI maps show a church (CofI) at the location, which now seems to be gone. The laneway to the graveyard appears to be close to a monument to the rebellion of 1798

see : Castleellis church & graveyard   (c1890 OSI map)

Thanks so much for the links.  Fabulous!
          possible entrance to graveyard   (Google street view)