Author Topic: BYRNE/JORDAN family in Wexford  (Read 5787 times)

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BYRNE/JORDAN family in Wexford
« on: Monday 21 December 09 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Have a marriage record for Matthew BYRNE and Frances JORDAN m.21/11/1874 Enniscorthy.  They were both Roman Catholic.  No parents' names, nor witnesses recorded.
I know Matthew's parents but would like help in trying to track down Frances' parents' names.  Any clues as to where I should go to look?
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: BYRNE/JORDAN family in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 December 09 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Full Civil records started in 1864, so this marriage should have been included. You can search an index to this at : Familysearch Irish Civil Index

Full research certs can be ordered from the GRO - http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

These will show more details than the parish record. such as father's names, occupation, place of residence of the bride & groom etc..

edit - found a possible cross match for the marriage in the index :

Name: Frances Jordan
 Registration district: Enniscorthy
 Record type: Marriage
 year: 1874
 Volume: 19 / Page: 290

Name: Matthew Byrne
 [same index details]

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 09 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I might have to try and order the marriage certificate as that's probably the only way I'm going to get any further information.
King; Turnbull; Armstrong, Sutherland; WelshWelch; Brodie; Milne; Park; Tait; McGrath; Hargrave; Jennings; Schmidt; Gregg; Exelby; Round; Sando; Burns/Byrne; Stracey; Ritter

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I already know Matthew's parents' names (Andrew BYRNE and Margaret NEILL), and where Matthew and Francis JORDAN were living when they got married.  If I applied for the marriage certificate, I may not get any further information than what I already have.  Francis' father's name may not be on the marriage certificate, so I'm not sure whether it would be worth purchasing this certificate which is why I haven't done it in the past.

Any suggestions?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 09:20 GMT (UK) »
A civil marriage cert should include father's names and occupations for both bride and groom... I am sure there are marriages where the fathers name is not recorded for some reason but I've ever seen one that has not.

it is the only way I can think of to try to find out anything about Francis' father

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Civil marriage certificate should list fathers' names and occupations although sonetimes names are omitted if deceased or name of dead father is there but occupation is not listed. You won't know unless you order the certificate. The certificate will list the exact place of marriage and since it was usually the bride's church that might be the place to start searching for other records on her family. Names of 2 witnesses will also be included and they might be relatives.
Another source of information is a newspaper announcement of the wedding (although in 1874 they might not have put anything in the local paper).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I guess I won't have any answers until I purchase the marriage certificate to see if there is any further information on it.
When I visited Wexford in 2003 I was told that Irish families tended to stick to their own areas, and that there would most certainly be living descendants in the same areas today.  However, back then I was not in possession of any particular areas to search, and it wasn't until I got back to Australia and received the parish records via the Wexford Genealogy Centre, that I was able to pinpoint one or two areas.
So it's been a long process, and I'll continue in my search for further information.

Offline shirlbur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I have an Application for Marriage Certificate form.  On the form it asks for PPS Number (if known).  Excuse my ignorance, but what is a PPS number?

Full Civil records started in 1864, so this marriage should have been included. You can search an index to this at : Familysearch Irish Civil Index

Full research certs can be ordered from the GRO - http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

These will show more details than the parish record. such as father's names, occupation, place of residence of the bride & groom etc..

edit - found a possible cross match for the marriage in the index :

Name: Frances Jordan
 Registration district: Enniscorthy
 Record type: Marriage
 year: 1874
 Volume: 19 / Page: 290

Name: Matthew Byrne
 [same index details]

Shane

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Personal Public Service Number only used for modern records.

Just say N/A on the application. As PPS number's were not around in 1874!

Its a number used for your tax/medical card etc. in Ireland bit like Social Security number in US.

Ger