Author Topic: 2nd wife of my great great grandfather...  (Read 4066 times)

Offline artygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • The search is on
    • View Profile
2nd wife of my great great grandfather...
« on: Monday 21 December 09 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello there!

My great great grandfather James Magee was born between 1872 and 1874. He went on to marry Alice Mooney. Before marriage, James was living in 41 Cavendish Street in the Falls area of
Belfast. Alice lived in 27 ½ Spinner street and is listed as being a factory girl. They married on June 6th 1896 in St.Paul’s Church, Belfast.

Now, my living relatives have always said that James married twice. I know he was a bachelor when marrying Alice.  Alice died sometime between 1911 (when they're in the census) and 1932 (when james died). Any suggestions as to how I could find out about this mystery second wife?

Thank you!

Tierna
Belfast (Falls Area mainly- Leeson St)  & Lisburn - Magee,Mooney, Adair,Darragh, Burns,Martin,Donegan

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd wife of my great great grandfather...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 05:51 GMT (UK) »
http://www.ancestryireland.com

The website above (UHF) shows the 1896 marriage for James Magee, father Felix, & Alice Mooney, father Robert.

As Felix is not a very common first name, the 1914 marriage transcript on UHF for James Magee, father Felix, may be the one you are looking for.

The other 1914 marriage transcript on UHF is for James Magee, father Nathaniel.

If you look on the Emerald Ancestors database, you will see the two 1914 marriage indexes for James Magee ( groom), & Margaret (bride), Co Antrim, James Magee, (groom) & Agnes (bride), co Antrim.

Emerald Ancestors database indexes gives name of groom and bride, date of marriage and church.   

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   A bit extra on the above. The Margaret Woodside marriage was a Presbyterian marriage in Larne.
The more likely one is to Agnes McBennett on 12 Apr 1914 in Belfast Roman Catholic Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline artygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • The search is on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Kanga and Kingskerswell,

I honestly cannot thank the both of you enough. I thought I had exhausted the records on Ancestry about a year ago and didn't think to look again. I'm wondering if the last time I looked, I hadn't discovered James' father's name yet and couldn't narrow it down... or else they have added to the records?

Either way, I'm amazed. This is definately my James as the address matches up and so do the witnesses to previous records. I can't get over finding this- thank you!!

Arty xox
Belfast (Falls Area mainly- Leeson St)  & Lisburn - Magee,Mooney, Adair,Darragh, Burns,Martin,Donegan

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Tierna,
         I have done a little poking around and found a James Magee born 1868 to Felix Magee and Ann Donaghy who were married in Lisburn Roman Catholic Church on 15 Aug1868. Some of their other children were Ever John born 28 Dec 1871 Co. Antrim, Felix born 28 Sept 1876 Belfast and Richard born 29 Jun 1879 Belfast.
         As EVER was an unusual name to me I looked the name up in the IGI records section and found two who may be of interest.
         If you are already aware of this please ignore this posting.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Kanga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 01:45 GMT (UK) »
The death index for Alice Magee below looks like she may have been the wife of James Magee. 

LDS pilot website

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

Civil Registration Indexes

Name: Alice Magee   Registration district: Belfast   Record type: DEATHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1912
Estimated birth year: 1875   Age: 37
Film number: 0101605      Volume: 1   Page: 249

Offline artygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • The search is on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Kingskerswell,

I actually followed this same thought about Felix and Ann Donaghy for a long time, however I then discovered his Father Felix and Mother Mary and realised they are the right people. Thank you for letting me know about it though!

Kanga,

Thank you for this. I'll hopefully get a trip to the newspaper library after christmas and see if there are any death insertions for this date. You're right though, it certainly looks about right. Thank you. I'll make sure I let you know what I find out.

Arty