Author Topic: Dr William Kirkland  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Andrew B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr William Kirkland
« on: Tuesday 22 December 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone any info on my ggg grandfather a Dr William Kirkland. He has connections to Cumnock. The only records I have mentioning him are his son's baptismal and death record, and his widow's death record. He was probably born in the 1770s or 1780s.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dr William Kirkland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello

There are 2 documents on the ppv site below.  It would appear he died in 1841.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  each doc costs £5.00.  Do not buy credits - place in 'cart' and purchase as you would an any major site.  To be found under the 'Wills etc' section at the bottom right of the front page once you log in.  Need to register for free first.

Regards,   Steve

KIRKLAND   WILLIAM   17/12/1841   DOCTOR OF MEDICINE IN AYR   INVENTORY   AYR SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES   SC6/44/11   VIEW (£5.00)
(5 pages

KIRKLAND   WILLIAM   17/12/1841   DOCTOR OF MEDICINE IN AYR   INVENTORY   AYR SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES   SC6/44

Under the OPR section of the site, there is one William Kirkland death in all of Scotland - in Ayrshire - I've no credits left, so am unable to view.  :O(  He may or may not be 'yours'.

Offline Andrew B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 10 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have already got these records. But I'm not sure if this is the right Doctor. In the testament his mother is mentioned, but the only William born to her was born in 1797. My gg grandfather was born in 1816 and his father is already described as a surgeon. My thoughts are that he came up from England and was working at Dumfries House where he met my ggg grandmother whose father was a gamekeeper on the Earl of Dumfries' estate. My next move is trying to find out where he trained. I know he didn't go to Glasgow, that only leaves Aberdeen or Edinburgh or more probably London if he did indeed come up from England.

Andrew

Offline S robertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am also looking for information on dr William Kirkland. He was my ggg grandfather. I am pretty sure I’ve found his parents grave in Cumnock old cemetery. David Kirkland a merchant. I’d be interested to find out what you have found
Regards
Stuart Robertson

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 20 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat S robertson!  :)

Just to say, in case you didn't notice, that the original post about this this was some 11 years ago in Dec 2009. (it tells you the date under the heading of the post).
And if you click on the names of the posters, you can see they have not been active on here for about 5 years.
Hopefully they will see your reply and get back to you.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 December 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
From British Newspaper Archives.

Published 27 Mar 1813 Bristol Mirror
At Worcester, Dr. William Kirkland, an eminent physician formerly of Chelmsford and late of Bath.

At Greenhill Cottage, Lasswade on the 14 Sep 1841, Eliza second daughter of the deceased Dr. William Kirkwood, physician in Bath.

Not much but something.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Andrew B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 21 13:35 GMT (UK) »
 Hello
I haven't looked at this site for several years, but I got info from the Cumnock History Group's website for my g-g-g-grandfather Dr William Kirkland. His father was James Kirkland, a merchant, and his mother Janet Wallace. His son's middle name was Wallace, so I think these are William's parents. The website went back several generations to someone called the Laird of Wallacetoon. I believe this farm still exists in East Ayrshire. Dr William Kirkland was involved in the donation of a covenanters flag to the Baird Institute in Cumnock.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 January 21 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Well there is a William bapt 19 Sep 1794 of James/Janet Wallace.  He was a merchant in Cumnock.  He had a brother David, a sister Margaret and a sister Sarah.

You can get these records here https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline S robertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 21 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the information. That is pretty much where I got to and makes perfect sense. There are however a few things that muddy the water for me however. His first son was born 1814 and he was already a surgeon at the age of 20. Was that possible then? I’ve found papers on Scotland people of a Dr Wm Kirkland of Ayr who died 1841 but gives his mother as Margaret Logan. In the ad of 1825 ish it lists him as a surgeon with a John Wallace. Did he name his second child after him?
It would help if I could find where he or his wife Elizabeth was buried or a death certificate but so far no luck.