Author Topic: Swedish conundrum  (Read 1907 times)

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past another country? Where's my passport?
    • View Profile
Swedish conundrum
« on: Wednesday 23 December 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I remember my late Auntie telling me that it was family rumour/gossip/legend that one of our ancestors from Lulea, north Sweden, was "Lord Mayor of Finland". Total rubbish, I thought. Chinese whispers like so much else on my tree.
I know I won't ever be able to prove anything because records for Lulea were destroyed in a fire in 1900 or thereabouts.
But it popped into my head that maybe what Auntie actually meant, was "Land Meister of Finnmark." or "Burgomeister of Finnmark."
All I want to know, please, is whether my brain has gone dolally over this, or was there actually such an office?  :D
Abbott, Surrey&London. Criswell/Cresswell, Painswick Gloucestershire. MacKenzie, Midlothian&London. King, the Tarrant Valley Dorset&London. Foreman, West Ham. Peters, Bolney/Lewes Sussex&London. Sandgrove, West Ham. Sundgren,Sweden.

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
Re: Swedish conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Well Finnmark is Northern Norway   -  so that's unlikely.  Lulea is in Lapland - maybe there?  :) A friend from Northern Norway over for Christmas tells me he has never heard of the term Burgomeister or Landmeister used in Norway.
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 December 09 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, now I shall have another pink gin to celebrate/commiserate with myself. Cheers!
Abbott, Surrey&London. Criswell/Cresswell, Painswick Gloucestershire. MacKenzie, Midlothian&London. King, the Tarrant Valley Dorset&London. Foreman, West Ham. Peters, Bolney/Lewes Sussex&London. Sandgrove, West Ham. Sundgren,Sweden.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 December 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I think you should make it a quest in life to look into it! :)
Norway and Sweden were in a union for the second half of the 19th century so it might have been possible for some one from Sweden to hold a post in Norway.
Do you know who/when it was?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 December 09 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Not going to let my Norwegian have a pink gin Crozier - he didnt take that into account.  Says union ended 1905. :)
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 December 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
No idea of a name and date, only that it might be 18th or 19th century. I always wondered if Auntie was suffering from delusions of grandeur...
The quest has to be my whole tree, so many bare branches! I do wish I could find out more regarding my Swedish relatives. But that would be the toughest brickwall probably.
I do have a few names on the female side there, but as I said many records were destroyed in a disasterous fire c. 1900.
Oh, it would be wonderful to find out more, even to go there. Have always wanted to see the Northern Lights. Got to see reindeer in Scotland, so I have made some progress in achieving this small heart's desire.
Oh,yes...is Lulea actually in Lapland?

Offline alpine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Lulea is actually in Sweden. I was told that my grandfather - Peter Sundgren who I believe we may have in common,  came from there.  He was a merchant seaman who came to London in early 1900's and changed his name, and that one of his relations was or was married to the Mayor of Madrid.    This may throw some light on your conundrum.  I hope it helps.

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hey, hey! Glad you saw this but surprised by the "Mayor of Madrid" bit.  Will PM you once you have the necessary three posts.

Offline alpine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Well, it may be worth while following that lead , even as a long shot.
Could be that your aunty was'nt having delusions especially if Sundgren (equivilent of Smith) was also mentioned.
I could be very wrong, but worth a try eh?