Author Topic: Upson  (Read 13372 times)

Offline LizStewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Upson
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 September 11 16:04 BST (UK) »
So sorry thmct6, I haven't been keeping up to date with my family history. Yes my Grandmother was indeed Annie Upson's sister. How exciting. Hopefully you will pick this up, cos I'd love to discuss more.
Kind regards
Liz

Offline thmct6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 October 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Yes, I'm guilty also of not delving into my family history as often as I should !  Trouble is, it's very hard to sit in front of a computer when the sun is blazing and all sorts of outside activities beckon.  Now that we're heading into winter, though, I may find more motivation....!
'Annie' Upson was, I believe, actually christened Eliza Ann, one of ten siblings (including your grandmother Elizabeth) born to Robert Upson and Fanny Springett. The other eight were George, Robert, Charlotte, Ellen, Maud, John, Emily and Harriet - clearly having no TV kept them busy at night...!
Interestingly, Fanny Springett's mother (Bethsheba - I haven't traced her maiden name yet) was born in Castle Hedingham. Out of interest, I popped into the church there last month and what did I find in the current Parish magazine but mention of the baptism, on 14th August, of two recently-born Springetts. So the family line appears to have continued in that locality - unfortunately it was very late in the day and I had no time to make further enquiries. Something for the future, though !
Anything else you might have will be useful to my own research over the coming dark evenings !
Regards
thmct6

Offline LizStewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 October 11 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hello, and thanks for your reply.

I have Bethsheba's maiden name - Olive. I have found baptisms for several of her siblings as well as her own. Perhaps you'd like to email me on (*) - I'd be pleased to share whatever I have :-)

Kind regards
Liz

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline thmct6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, and thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately I opened it up a little too late, and the moderator had already deleted your e-mail address so at the moment I can't proceed.  This message should bring me up to my third posting, so hopefully it will now allow me to send a personal message through the Rootschat system!  have run out of time this evening, though, so will try to get back into it in the next day or two.
Best regards until then,

Offline LizStewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
Ooops didn't realise that I wasn't supposed to put email address up. Once we can inbox each other, perhaps we can find a way for me to send you copies of the info I've found on the Upsons, like the settlement order for Samuel and Sarah Upson and four of their children :-(

Look forward to hearing from you
Liz

Offline Lola Feagin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 December 14 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I hope that you will receive this as it is possible that we are relatives ( I may be wrong but....) You have a Leonard & Dorothy Upson with a child named Jerry as your great great grandparents..... Well, my maternal grandmothers name was Dorothy Upson( this is her maiden name) But she was married at least 3 times............ This is where I ran into trouble...... While my grandmas name is Dorothy V Upson, My grandfathers name was Frances Merrill Lawrence. Leonard C. Lawrence was her brother. My grandma only had 1 son that we know of and his name was Robert. My grandmas birthday was December 15, 1924 in Superior, Colorado. She had 3 brothers, Leonard, Gene and Roy. She also had 2 sisters, Margaret and Marjorie. If any of these matches your information please would you let me know as I am at a stand still as I do not have any info on her parents. Thank you for taking time to read this.

Offline thmct6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 December 14 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lola,

I think your branch of the Upson family must be a different one to that which I'm researching. There's no Leonard, Dorothy or Jerry coming up in my research and I'm considerably further back in time than you seem to be at present!  Also there's no family member with a USA connection so that alone probably rules my tree out of your thinking.
If it helps, my research seems to suggest that Upson was a very common name around the north Essex/south Suffolk area in the early part of the 19th century. As with so many 'regional' family names, though, the industrial revolution saw mass migration from rural, agricultural areas to the larger towns and cities where so many new, better paid, jobs were being created. Many of the Upsons found such work further south in the growing suburbs of London, so depending where you're up to in your searches you might find you can pick up some leads from research into such locations.
Hope this helps!

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 December 14 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I am in the process of collecting information on the surname Upson. My grandmother was Elizabeth Upson born Brentwood, Essex in 1887. I have got BMD from 1837 to 1900, as well as Census information. If you have any Upson info, please do contact me. Thanks Liz ;)
HI Liz ..... I have been watching this topic as I had a boss in the heart of London during WW2 when I was an apprentice ...... a great bloke named William (Bill) Upson.
You can find Upson contacts via http://www.192.com/atoz/people/upson/william/
if you wish.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.