Author Topic: John Ormond of Pembroke  (Read 5038 times)

Offline David in Aus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Ormond of Pembroke
« on: Sunday 27 December 09 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone can please help me with information about John Ormond (1819 - 1888) of Pembroke, who was my GG grandfather.

The LDS have a record of the family group, with John christened 14 Aug 1819 and buried 19 Jan 1888. His wife Harriet (nee Thomas) died on 04 Jan 1877.

According to the Censuses he was a Chemist in Main Street, Pembroke, between 1841 and 1871.
By the 1881 Census, John’s son Richard has taken over as Chemist in Main Street.
In 1881 the only record for John is “Farmer of 40 Acres Employing 1 Man” at Winter Hall, Nash, Pembrokeshire. The age is right, he is a widower and was born in Carew.

What would be the best way to try to confirm that this John is the former Chemist, retired to become a Farmer?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I live in Sydney Australia and I’m researching:
Allison - Norfolk/Suffolk/South Africa
Chambers - Suffolk
Ormond - Pembroke
Penn - South Africa
Rix - Norfolk
Yeatman - Dorset/Staffordshire/South Africa

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: John Ormond of Pembroke
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 December 09 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone can please help me with information about John Ormond (1819 - 1888) of Pembroke, who was my GG grandfather.

The LDS have a record of the family group, with John christened 14 Aug 1819 and buried 19 Jan 1888. His wife Harriet (nee Thomas) died on 04 Jan 1877.

According to the Censuses he was a Chemist in Main Street, Pembroke, between 1841 and 1871.
By the 1881 Census, John’s son Richard has taken over as Chemist in Main Street.
In 1881 the only record for John is “Farmer of 40 Acres Employing 1 Man” at Winter Hall, Nash, Pembrokeshire. The age is right, he is a widower and was born in Carew.

What would be the best way to try to confirm that this John is the former Chemist, retired to become a Farmer?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

From my transcription of the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to 1950’s from the baptism register covering the period 1847 to 1895 ;
09 July 1851 Richard to John & Harriet Ormond of Pembroke a Druggist baptized by W.M.D. Berrington.
John and Harriet the Druggist had a further 10 children baptized at Pembroke St Mary 1848 to 1869
25 Mar 1880 Edith Mary to Richard & Martha Palmer Ormond of Main Street Pembroke a Druggist baptized by C.W. Coddington
Richard & Martha the Druggist had a further  7 children baptized at Pembroke St Mary between 1891 and 1893.

From my transcription of the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to 1950’s from the mrge register covering the period 1837 to 1848;
24 July 1842 John Ormond of full age a bachelor and Druggist of Pembroke the son of William Ormond a Yeoman married Harriett Thomas of full age a spinster with no shown occupation the daughter of  Owen Thomas a Draper by licence in front of W. Bowling. Both signed their names in the prescence of William Ormond and Owen Thomas.

Whilst the mrge of Richard Ormond to Martha Palmer Roberts took place in the Pembroke Registration District I can confirm that the mrge did not take place at Pembroke St Mary or Pembroke St Michael so must have been at one of the other many parishes covered by this registration district, not least Monkton or Pembroke Dock.

Martha Palmer Roberts was baptized at St Twynells in 1855 see ;
http://www.revjones.fsnet.co.uk/stackgrpreg/twbap.htm#R_begin
She is only listed as Martha Roberts, but can confirm register shows her as Martha Palmer Roberts. You will also see all other children to William & Ann Roberts.

Seeing William quoted as a “Yeoman” in 1842, I note that
William Ormond a Farmer of Carew married Esther George at Yeberston 23 Nov 1813 and that
Thomas Ormond a Farmer of Carew married Elizabeth Rogers at Minwear 27 Mar 1814.

I note the baptism of a John Ormond at Carew in 1819. Which would perhaps indicate he is the son of William the Farmer. As he is not listed LDS I can check at the Rec Off for details.

There is a Harriet Thomas baptized at St Twynells in 1816, but the more lightly baptism entry for Harriet who mrd John Ormond is;
From my transcription of the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to 1950’s from the baptism register covering the period 1822 to 1847 ;
03 Feb 1828 Harriet to Owen & Elizabeth Thomas of Pembroke a shop keeper by C. Philipps
27 Nov 1825 Jane to Owen & Elizabeth Thomas of Pembroke a shop keeper by C. Philipps
03 Feb 1828 David Palmer to Owen & Elizabeth Thomas of Pembroke a Mercer  by C. Philipps
From my transcription of the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to 1950’s from the baptism register covering the period 1813 to 1822, Owen & Elizabeth the Shopkeeper of Pembroke had a further 6 children baptized between 1813 and 1821.

From my transcription of the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Mary 1711 to 1950’s from the mrge register covering the period 1803 to 1812;
26 Apr 1812 Owen Thomas of Pembroke St Mary mrd Elizabeth Palmer of Pembroke St Mary by licence in front of Thomas Dalton. Both signed their names in the presence of Wm Llewhellin and Sarah Palmer.
Notes
1. As you are probably aware parents are not shown on mrge entries pre 1837.
2. One only had to reside in the parish for 6 weeks minimum to be of that parish of mrge, therefore the abode shown can quite lightly bear no relationship to abode of baptism or birth.
Whilst there are a number of Palmer and Thomas baptism in Pembroke St Mary around the time Owen & Elizabeth would have been baptized There is no reference to them in the parish of Pembroke St Mary baptism register for the period 1748 to 1812.

More to follow (I hope)
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 09 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous ;
In 1841 Census for Carderth Carew I note
William Ormond 56 Farmer Yes
George Ormond 15 Farmer Yes
Ann Ormond 15 – Yes
/
Thomas Griffith 25 Farm Serv Yes
Martha James 20 Farm Serv Yes

A quick check shows an Esther Ormond buried at Carew in 1833, can we presume this is the wife of William farmer at Carderth.

Also in 1841 at
Williamston Carew
Anne Ormond 75 Farmer Yes
John Ormond 46 Farmer Yes
Mary Ormond 40 – Yes
William Ormond 11 – Yes
Richard Ormond 01 – Yes
Williamston
Thomas Ormond 65 Farmer Yes
Elizabeth Ormond 50 – Yes
John Ormond 70 Ind Yes
Jane Ormond 25 – Yes
George Ormond 24 Farmer Yes
Eliza Ormond 17 – Yes
/
Sarah Hall 25 Farm Serv Yes
Mary Teague 15 Farm serv Yes

The problem is that almost in round terms the following are equi-distant from each other Carew, Nash(now Lower Nash) Pembroke, I had hoped to show that John Ormond had taken over a named ‘Family’ Farm of William or Thomas, but was not to be. Since John of Winter Hall is aged 61 in 1881, do you agree that it is a bit much of a coincidence that John the Druggist and John the Farmer both fit the age and probable father to be‘born’ at Carew in 1819.

All the evidence appears to confirm your findings.

All the following for your  future reference

I note from my index of Burgess of Pembroke Borough 1711 to 2006 the following
Morris Ormond a Farmer of West Williamston Carew was made burgess 13 Jan 1795 Admin Bk 5 Page 42 Minute Bk page 145.
Also
Henry Ormond a Farmer of Martletwy Strangs made burgess 13 Oct 1809 Admin Bk 10 Page 93 Minute Bk page 293
John Ormond Farmer of Martletwy made burgess 12 Jan 1795 Admin Bk 6 Page 153 Minute Bk page 125
Morrice Ormond of Reynoldton made burgess 13 Jan 1795 Admin Bk 5 Page 76 Minute Bk page 138
Previous experience of the Burgess records would suggest that Morrice and Morris are related either as brothers or father/son.
I note with interest the will of Anne Ormond of Carew 1800/31 Mary Ormond of Carew 1766/16 Maurice Ormond of Williamston Carew 1811/33, Thomas Ormond of Carew 1842/78. All are freely available on the NLoW website.

From my transcription of the Pembroke Borough Account Books 1824 to 1835 I note the following ;
1825 Received of Richard Ormond 1 years rent due Michmas 1825 2/6
1826 Recived sundry small rents viz (among others) (blank) Ormond 2/6
Oct 1829 Rece’d of Richard Ormond 3 yrs rent of a piece of Ground in the Common due Michmas 1829 7/6

I think I can find a bit more of children of John & Richard Ormond of Main St.
Rgds
Oreilbenfro

1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 09 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous I have just discovered ;
From my transcription of the Pembroke St Mary Parish Registers 1711 to 1950. In the burial register for the period 1883 to 1913 I note ;
John Ormond of Main Street buried 19 Jan 1888 aged 68 yrs by W. Jones
In the burial register for the period 1839 to 1882 I note ;
Harriet Ormond of Main Street buried 04 Jan 1877 aged 53 yrs by Henry S. Blink
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline David in Aus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Orielbenfro, for the wealth of information supplied. The marriage records are particularly useful with the references to the parents of the bride and groom.

I will follow up the wills at the NLoW and see if they are relevant.

Thanks again,
David
I live in Sydney Australia and I’m researching:
Allison - Norfolk/Suffolk/South Africa
Chambers - Suffolk
Ormond - Pembroke
Penn - South Africa
Rix - Norfolk
Yeatman - Dorset/Staffordshire/South Africa