Author Topic: illegit,s surname change  (Read 1116 times)

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
illegit,s surname change
« on: Sunday 27 December 09 13:35 GMT (UK) »
My 6x gt,gdfather while married, had 2 children with a mistress, born in 1782 &1784, they were baptised under the maiden name of the mistress, Meacher, this mistress then married someone else, so 6x gt,gdfather found another mistress, and she had 4 children by him, all baptised under her maiden name of Hatch. After 6x gt,gdfathers wife died in 1797 he married his second mistress. The 4 children that were born before the marriage under the name Hatch then used the surname of my 6xgt,gdfather.
Would the children  just have adopted the surname or would there be some legal or church proceedure to go through?
 also i have found the second child from the first mistress living with 6x gt gdfather and his new wife, but he has retained the surname Meacher, why did he retain his estranged mothers maiden name and not use his fathers surname?
I have copies of bastardy bonds for all 6 children where both mistresses have charged my 6x gt gdfather with being the father and he has acknowledged them, proving he is the father.

Ivor :D
Whitcher,Roalf,Lewis,Phillips,Parry

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: illegit,s surname change
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 09 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Under Common Law you can call yourself what you like as long as it is not for fraudulent or criminal purposes. In a lot of cases you usually see entries such as xxxxx alias yyyyy, i.e. alias = also known by.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk