Author Topic: Adams/Hunt  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Briagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adams/Hunt
« on: Sunday 27 December 09 17:17 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was registered as Sarah Jane Adams in Neath 1880 but she was illegitimate and her fathers name was Hunt. Problem - was it the other way round? My grandfather Isaiah Jones was a strict Methoist and their marriage (1902) implies that she married as Sarah Adams. Her first child Winifred (born in Wales 1905) has Adams on her birth certificate but my mother's has Hunt on hers! I know that she was adopted out but to whom? Adams or Hunt? They started married life in Wales but moved to Doncaster, Yorks where my mother was born (1913). Can anyone throw any light on this. I'd love to know more about her.
Adams Hunt Sheffield Neath,  Sutton in Ashfield
Jones Madeley, Dawley Shropshire Doncaster Yorks
Jenks Shropshire
Reeves Launton Oxon Saltburn Cleveland Doncaster Yorks
Roughton March Cambs Saltburn Cleveland

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adams/Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 December 09 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Briagh,
Have you been able to find Sarah Jane in any census under either surname and have you got a copy of her birth certificate please?

I live in Yorkshire and have family in North Wales  :)

maidmarion

Offline Briagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maidmarion

Thanks for your reply. I haven't sent for her BC yet but will do next week. I have her birth reg. details but have never found her on any census yet although I haven't checked for her and grandad Jones on the 1911. That won't tell me much anyway as I already know about her life after she married. I haven't managed to find her marriage yet to Isaiah Jones in Neath or her death in 1950s in Doncaster. I definitely know that she was registered as Sarah Jane Adams born in Neath in 2nd Qtr 1876. but was Adams her father or her adopted family? I know she married as Sarah Jane Adams.

I was born in Doncaster as were my parents but I now live in East Anglia. I have tracked down 3 cousins who knew absolutely nothing about their Welsh background and they would love to know as much as I can find out. isaiah is easy but Sarah has been very elusive.

Briagh
Jenks Shropshire

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I thought from your first post that you had the marriage cert for your Grandparents but it seems not. Where did you get the 1902 date and details from please?
The Jun 1/4 1902 marriage in Neath has Isaiah Jones marrying either Rebecca Evans or Maggie Bowen.

There is a marriage in Mansfield though  ;D
Sep 1/4 1903
Isaiah Jones to either Sarah Adams Hunt or Sarah Jane Dove. 7b 157
I would certainly send for their marriage certificate and hopefully it may give details of her father. :-\

So Sarah Jane's birth was registered in 1876 and not as in your first post 1880? No wonder I couldn't find it! ::) Let us know further details when it arrives. :)

I would look at the 1911 census if only to confirm dates and places of birth etc. The more information you can obtain the better. You never know, there maybe other people living with them that could give you some further clues. ;)

Hope this helps
maidmarion

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a quick look on the census and can't confrim anything at present. Sending for the marriage cert and finding Sarah and Isaiah in 1911 would confirm details that are needed before moving back to Sarah's birth.

What info do you have at the moment to confirm Neath in 1876 as her date and place of birth please?

maidmarion :)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was struggling with this one last night but the Neath connection confused me and I gave up when I thought tiredness was winning.

I found this birth,

Sarah Hunt ADAMS    Mar Q 1878    Mansfield    7b  86

and these censuses in Mansfield registration district,

1881  RG11/3315  f.118  p.34  Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire
New Cross
\\
Sarah PEMBLETON    Head  W  58    Embroiderer    Notts Hucknall
Sarah ADAMS         Niece        3                            "        "
\
Hannah            Boarder  Unm  18    Factory Hand      "    Sutton in Ashfield 
\\

1891    RG12/2652  f.60  p.1  Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire
7 Brook St 

Sarah PENDLETON          Head  W  68  Living on own means    Notts Hucknell Huthwaite
Sarah Adams HUNT   Great Niece   13    Scholar                     "    Sutton in Ashfield   

1901    RG13/3138  f.47  p.2  Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire
21 Victoria Street

Sarah PENDLETON      Head    W    78                                Notts Hucknell Huthwaite
Sarah A HUNT           Niece    S     23    Hosery Chevioner       "    Sutton in Ashfield   
John Hy FLETCHER   Boarder   S     24  Grocers assisstant       Durham South Shields
Samuel BRYAN             "       W     75             L                   Notts Sutton in Ashfield

This all fits well with the idea that she wasn't brought up by her mother and the 1903 marriage found by maidmarion. Then,

Mansfield Notts 1911,
Isaiah JONES  33             b. Dawley, Shropshire
Sarah Adams JONES  33    b. Sutton in Ashfield
Winifred JONES    5          b. Sutton in Ashfield

Possible deaths,

Sarah A JONES    age: 72    Dec Q 1950     Doncaster    2b  407

Isaiah JONES    age: 81    Dec Q 1958     Doncaster    2b  358

but is this the right family?

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 16:35 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if this is Sarah ADAMS/HUNT baptism as I can't find a Sarah HUNT born in Mansfield Mar Q 1878?

Church:  St Mary, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire
DOB:  21 Jan 1878
Baptism:  24 Feb 1878
Forename:  Sarah
Mother:  Sarah HUNT
Father Occupation:  Singlewoman

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Briagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 January 10 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all your efforts. Daisypetal's Sutton-in-Coldfield family is the right one. Winifred was my aunt of course and the two deaths look spot on. They moved to Doncaster where my mother was born.
I'll send pms to each of you who have been working on this when I have checked out some family docs that my sister holds. Thank you so much for the breakthrough though. I was very stuck on this and I know that there are family 'secrets' going on here somewhere  :)

Happy New Year :D

Briagh
Jenks Shropshire

Offline Briagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Once again thank you for all your help everyone. I've solved the mystery of the Neath connection. Sarah Adams Hunt's mother (my gt grandmother) Sarah Hunt came originally from Neath and was a welsh speaker. I got confused because the letter and diaries that I found some of my info from referred to grannies but I was missing a generation so I thought it was my grandmother who came from Neath, not realising that the diaries referred to HER mother  :)
Now WHO was grandma's father? Her mother is Hunt on the baptism and named as a singlewoman so I'm presuming that Adams was the father. Will probably never know the answer to that one but now have all the missing dates and locations.

Happy New Year  ;)

Briagh
Jenks Shropshire