Author Topic: William Shepherd  (Read 2487 times)

Offline James Shepherd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Shepherd
« on: Monday 28 December 09 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, I am trying to pinpoint a part of ireland my gggg/grandfather may have been born. He was born about 1790. He arrived on the Wirral about 1811 and married Ann Hinley from Frankby in Liverpool in 1812. On the 1851 census his place of birth is listed as Ireland. He died that year aged 64. So I have no way of pinpointing his birth place in Ireland. Any help would be mutch appreciated, thanks, James.
Greer Family Market Hill Armagh. Keith Family Belfast. Carbery Family Donore Meath.Shepherd Family Burton Cheshire and Liverpool.Liscoe Family Stabana, Richardstown Louth. Parker Family Hart and Barren County Kentucky and Virginia USA, Hindley Family Frankby Wirral

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Shepherd
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 December 09 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately civil registration of births didn't start until 1864. Before that date you'd need to search for church records (which may or may not exist) so you need to know both the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just the county or 'Ireland'). In this particular case, even if you find where he was from in Ireland, it's quite possible that church records will not exist for 1790s.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline James Shepherd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 09 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information, William married and was buried in a church of England Church, weather he converted, I really don't know. I have just hit a wall with this side of my tree,. Thank you for your help, James.
Greer Family Market Hill Armagh. Keith Family Belfast. Carbery Family Donore Meath.Shepherd Family Burton Cheshire and Liverpool.Liscoe Family Stabana, Richardstown Louth. Parker Family Hart and Barren County Kentucky and Virginia USA, Hindley Family Frankby Wirral

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 09 17:20 GMT (UK) »
If he was Church of England he could easily have belonged to the Church of Ireland in Ireland but there's probably no way to discover if he was originally C. of I., another Protestant denomination, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!