Author Topic: Germany: Ancestor from Kassel - KATZENSTEIN / KINGSTON  (Read 6122 times)

Offline Dazville

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Germany: Ancestor from Kassel - KATZENSTEIN / KINGSTON
« on: Monday 28 December 09 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys
A long shot  :)

For quite a few years I have(what I believe ) a relative called  Edgar Charles Kingston who changed his name as it was originally Katzenstein(why I do not know)...he was a British Subject by 1888( I believe)
I have not found the link yet to him within my family although I have my leads...
He was married twice...
first time was to Gladys Mary Ray in 1895 St Giles London...His father was Louis Katzenstein Artist...
Second time was to Mary Payne in 1908 Edgar recorded as Kingston with his father recorded as Louis Kingston (deceased)
Edgar c1867 was a Turf Accountant and lived at Piccadilly and I have in my posession a newspaper article report from 1915 regarding his life as he commited suicide after the loss of his wife 4 years earlier...
He was a very interesting man according to this newspaper report which was found at my relatives house....

How could I try and find his birth in Kassel and his parents including any descendents...

Kind regards

Darryl

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor from Kassel
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darryl,

found a Louis Katzenstein b. 27.08.1824 Kassel, d. 18.10.1907 Kassel. He was a painter and writer. Plenty about his works on the net, but nothing about his family.

If you are related in direct line you can order the Death Certificate at the

Standesamt Kassel

Abteilungsleiter Juergen Rast

e-mail :  juergen.rast {--at--} stadt-kassel.de

or direct on line at:

http://www.stadt-kassel.de/cms01/verwaltung/onlineservice/urkunden/index.html

Louis was Jewish, so I don't know where you would order a Birth Certificate. Public registration was only from 1875 needed.

Regards Peonie

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace {--at--} with @

Offline Dazville

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peonie

Thanks for your reply,I have no experience with the language barrier to try and order a certificate!!!
I am yet to find the link for Edgar Charles Kingston(katzenstein)...
All I do know was the documents were found when my relative died.
The newpaper has survived with quite a lot of detail about him as he was also an expert gambler as well as a businessman helping to break the bank of monte carlo six times.
It is claimed in one weekend he won 250,000 pounds,went to the same school as the kaiser,we also have a statement of properties Document worth £26,000 in 1894...
We also had his will although that was destroyed many years ago.
It is also claimed he was besotted by his second wife and lost the will to live when she died...

Who is he to me NO IDEA!!!

Really need help with this one....

All the best

Darryl

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 December 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Darryl,

Some of my Jewish ancestors would have been contemporaries of Louis' parents in Kassel. I have a wealth of information on the Kassel community and will be able to guide you in  the right direction to find out more.

One of  the lists in my posession records the following two men in the perioed 1808-1813:

Herz Elias Katzenstein and Mendel Elias Katzenstein.

I suspect that your Louis was the son of Herz Elias K. Hartog is the Dutch secular rendering of the Yiddish name Herz, which is itself a calque of the Hebrew name Naftali.

I will be able to provide more help next week.

Justin

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 09 17:44 GMT (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/
 - does show the naturalisation of Katzenstein, Carl Wilhelm Edgar, in 1888

Also a Edgar Charles Kingston applied for divorce -  his wife Mary Jane, co-respondent Walter Butler -  in 1906.

He also seems to have become bankrupt around 1913, see here (several other related records):
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28802/pages/1347
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dazville

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 December 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It does appear that when his wife died he lost interest and all he was bothered about was being with his wife, he died of morphia poisoning in 1915,
he was an expert gambler and money lender... But decided to end it all

the divorce record,I'm not sure that's him as his first wife was called Gladys and May died...

All the best

Darryl

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darryl,

I found some family papers in an archive for Sally Katzenstein, Jewish teacher from Minden. No idea if they are relevant.

http://www.nachlassdatenbank.de/viewall.php?page=6&category=K&sid=5fa798774b42b1eb6ee00

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/bestaende_findmittel/findmittel_online/index.html?lang=en

Regards, Peonie

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: Ancestor from Kassel - KATZENSTEIN / KINGSTON
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Darryl,

The Jewish community of Kassel has been extensively researched over the last 25 years or more by Helmut Thiele. He has produced three private publications documenting the community (primarily BMD records) from the mid-18th century through to the modern day. He donated copies of these publications to the Stadtarchiv Kassel (Kassel City Archives) as well as to the Hessisches Staatsarchiv Marburg (Hessian State Archives Marburg).

I have emailed a friend of mine who has also has a copy of the publications and many other documents relating to the Jews of north Hessen. Fingers crossed that he replies soon.

Documents from the mid-18th century suggest that the Katzenstein family were living in the town of Eschwege (about 30 km ESE of Kassel).

Justin

Offline Dazville

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: Ancestor from Kassel - KATZENSTEIN / KINGSTON
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peonie & Justin

Thanks for your help it's very much appreciated and fingers crossed may get somewhere with this

Thanks again

Darryl