Author Topic: William and Ann Severs  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Ann Severs
« on: Wednesday 30 December 09 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm having a little trouble with my ancestors William Severs and his wife Ann.

In 1841 they were living in Hunslet. William was born circa. 1806, in Yorkshire, and Ann was also born circa 1806, not in Yorkshire.
They are living with their three children, Ann Severs b. 1830, Catherine, b. 1835, and George b. 1840.

In 1851 I can find Ann sevrs with two of her children, George and Catherine. Ann's birth year is now 1808, and she was born in London. Her condition as to marriage I can't read on the original image, but I don't think it says widowed.

I can't find any suitable death records for William Severs after 1841, or for Ann after 1851.

If anyone can find suitable death records for these two people, or find them on the census if they aren't dead, I'd love to see those records.

Thank you!

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William and Ann Severs
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm having a little trouble with my ancestors William Severs and his wife Ann.

In 1841 they were living in Hunslet. William was born circa. 1806, in Yorkshire, and Ann was also born circa 1806, not in Yorkshire.
They are living with their three children, Ann Severs b. 1830, Catherine, b. 1835, and George b. 1840.

In 1851 I can find Ann sevrs with two of her children, George and Catherine. Ann's birth year is now 1808, and she was born in London. Her condition as to marriage I can't read on the original image, but I don't think it says widowed.

I can't find any suitable death records for William Severs after 1841, or for Ann after 1851.

If anyone can find suitable death records for these two people, or find them on the census if they aren't dead, I'd love to see those records.

Thank you!

Ok, so you say they are ancestors, so you must know what became of at least one of their kids.
Where in the county of yorkshire were they in 1851?
What was William's Occupation?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you look on Yorkshire BMD there are a few deaths of Severs both Ann and William
William 1853  Flaxton, Yorkshire
William 1869 Hunslet, Leeds
William 1870 Hunslet, Leeds
Ann 1857 Walmergate, Yorks
Ann 1864 Bootham,  Yorks
Ann 1868 Hunslet, Leeds
So I might go for the Hunslet deaths if I was you lol
Saying that I did see the census with Ann and just 2 children which is quite obviously this Ann but William could have been away at the time. Have you looked for Yorkshire strays in other counties?? Do you have family even now in other counties? he might have been visiting.
If he was a seaman he might have been at sea? Lots of possibilities so you really need his profession.
regards Sandymc  :D
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I had just forwarded the other post when I managed to find William on the 1861 census.  He is living with family and is classed as the Uncle aged 57 and married. Born in Thirsk but living in Hunslet. The head of the house is Joseph (looks like Dewsbury) and wife Mary Ann aged 35. One of the children is called John William, this could be one on the William Severs who died either 1869 or 1870. There is no month so they could have both come down with the same disease and died one end of a year and one at the beginning of the other?
Just have to use imagination with some of these things without any certificates.
Hope this helps, maybe someone else could help now.
regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Yashca

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 23:06 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census says that William was a labourer, and in 1861 it says he was a 'Good maker' or something like that. His condition as to marriage in 1861 looks like it might say married, but I am not completely sure.

Thanks for your help in finding William - are you confident that he is the correct one?

I am also unsure how, in 1861, he is Uncle to anyone in the house.

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 December 09 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you read your first post it says you couldnt find William other than on the 1841 census. You now say that on the 1861 census he is a Good Maker, whatever that job might be.  So where and who was he with on that 1861 look up? I could only find the one William on the 1861 in Hunslet and as mentioned he was living with a family who he was named as an Uncle of. This means he was either a blood relative of theirs or his wife was their blood relative. Are you saying that William didnt have any siblings? Or that Ann didnt?
Otherwise he could be a Uncle. He would be still classed as married if he and Ann had split up and maybe they  couldnt live together.
As mentioned before if you dont have the certificates or word of mouth it is a guessing and detective game trying to research and you just have to buy a few credits on some of the sites to do the research as you cant always find everyone on the free sites.