Author Topic: COMPLETED Death on a ship from UK to Australia  (Read 14486 times)

Offline greenpaula

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death on a ship from UK to Australia
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 January 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Got the photos Jamjar  - they are superb, thank you so much.
Peter's friend Rita is very interesting isn't she?
I've been in touch with my sister in law in the USA who knew Peter's sister Maggie very well in Maggie's later years (Maggie died in 1985 in New York)
Apparently Maggie always said Peter never married, he was an airline steward with Quantas and Maggie saw him fairly regularly when he flew to the USA.
From the evidence it seems Peter was very close to Rita Demas and most probably did live with her.
His family were strong RC and I suspect his parents and Maggie were kept in the dark if he was living with a lady and not married. Even 25 - 30 years ago it was frowned upon. 
On the other hand, if he was free to do so why did he not marry Rita?
I'm off now to forward the photos to sis in law.
Thanks again to all who have helped me in this search. :)
Hoey, McLuskey - Scotland & Ireland. Eckersley, Rogerson - Lancashire. McGee - Ireland, Lancashire. Barnes - Bolton, Lancs

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Death on a ship from UK to Australia
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 January 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
If curiosity ever gets the better of you it would be worth getting his death certificate, which would tell you if he was married, or not.

Always happy to take photos.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline STEPHENsaffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Death on a ship from UK to Australia
« Reply #38 on: Monday 03 October 11 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, please forgive the intrusion, i'm a newbie, but you just might be able to help me. I'v been given the task of researching the mother and family of a Kevin Hoey, who was given up to Barnado's born in Finchley 1931, the mothers name on his birth certificate is Rita Hoey, the registrar has also put in 'A Masseuse' under her name. There was a catholic marriage of a Rita Rose Hoey to a Herbert Edward Collins in 1938, but I'm only guessing they are one and the same. Her father is given in the marriage certificate as peter Hoey deceased. A Garage proprietor. I can find no birth record for Rita, and I'm guessing that she was Italian. Would you be interested in helping me push this investigation further at all?
You can contact me on (*)

Moderator Comment: email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Note: New members need to make 3 postings before the PM system is fully functional

For Information on How to Send a PM

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 06 October 11 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there Stephen,

Welcome to Rootschat.

May I ask if the chap who was given up to Barnado's is still living?  The surname HOEY is found on electoral rolls from Federation times in central west of NSW, so perhaps the Italian suggestion could be either a red herring or earlier than you may have considered... 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 06 October 11 04:29 BST (UK) »
Following up on Rita DEMAS and the earlier posts re the electoral rolls and NSW BDM 1906 ...

From NSW Electoral Roll for 1903, SOUTH SYDNEY, polling at Alexandria (first time females enrolled to vote, the two different addresses could simply be that Lizzie enrolled for that first female opportunity and that Leo had not yet updated his earlier address, but that suggestion is really only speculation on my part)

Leo J DEMAS, 8 John St, a tailor
Lizzie DEMAS, 8a Pickup St, domestic duties

From Sands Directory Sydney Alphabetical 1905
HOEY:
Henry, 28 Dickson St Newtown
Mrs J, 41 Short St Balmain
John, 4 Zamia St Redfern
Robert, 1 Union St Balmain

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline STEPHENsaffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 06 October 11 04:44 BST (UK) »
Yes he is, in the UK, obviously hoping to find any living brothers or sisters.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 06 October 11 04:52 BST (UK) »
Agh, perhaps this thread will help explain

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368728.msg2632620.html#msg2632620

Many Cheers,

JM

Offline salbou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 11 July 14 05:20 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this site, and really don't know how it works etc. I just did a quick search for family and I have come across this conversation. Not sure what the connection is :-) Anyway Rita Demas was my father's aunt. Leonidas & Elizabeth Demas were my fathers grandparents.

Offline salbou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there greenpaula, I am unsure if you will see this message as I see this thread is quite old. Anyway, as per my previous message, Rita Demas was my dad's aunt. I've had a chat to him, and I can certainly answer all of the questions raised in this thread regarding Rita and Peter. Thanks.