Author Topic: Danselman  (Read 1213 times)

Offline fams 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Danselman
« on: Friday 01 January 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find the birth and marriage of Christian Danselman who I know was buried at St.Mary's Whitechapel 4.5.1833 aged 65 and'of the workhouse'.I know he was a sugar boiler and I am wondering if he was an emigrant.The name sounds a bit German and I'm led to believe that there were a lot of German workers in the sugar industry in London in the 19th century.Can you help in any way? I would appreciate it very much.Regards Vera

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Danselman
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 January 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vera

This is the website & database for
Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers

http://home.clara.net/mawer/intro.html

and for a reference to your other topic, to which Valda replied with the above link also: :
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=427420.msg2924812;topicseen

You know his wife  to be  named Martha but

quote:
"the only marriage I can find he is married to Patty Soanes, 25.11.1804 St.Giles Cripplegate"

He & Martha had 4 children all b Stepney area
Martha 1814
Frederick 1816
Henry 1819
Elizabeth 1822

Records also have Frederick DANSELMAN and Patty having children, both chr Whitechapel/Stepney:
William 1808
Joseph 1810

When Martha b 1814 married she named her father as Christian Frederick DANSELMAN.

DANSELMAN (and variations which include a Z instead of S) definitely sounds Germanic.

Also -I believe  it was tradition for German(ic) familys to name the boys of the family all with 2 forenames- the first all the same and being the name of the father, the middle name being the individual everyday name the child would use. So for example two brothers might be forenamed:
Freidrich Karl
Freidrich Heinrich

Which is why I think there is the high chance the man who is father to Patty's children and Martha's children is the same man.

The question remaining for me, if Patty & Martha are subsequent wives or the same woman.

Did Martha survive her husband and appear on Census?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 January 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
By searching the Ellis Island database for people going into New York,
one finds the following suggested variations for Danselman

Danzelmann       
Denselmann       
Danzelman       
Donzelmann       
Dankelmann       
Dunselmann     
Dankelman       
Donszelman       
Dunzelmann     
Dankalman       
Denkelman       

There are 3 x Dontzelman  females on the IGI 1738 to 1758 - Westphalen, Prussian

An Edker DANSELMAN is on US passenger lists at some stage.
And there are a few DANSELMAN appearring in the US Census over various years.

On the UK sugar bakers dtabase are a couple of entries which maybe worth pursuing:

DUNSELMANN O.H of Hanover - - to Dover 1851 Metzner - Shipping Lists

DUNZALMANN C foreign (age 29) (pan man) Back Rd London 1841  - 1841 census HO107 /703 /9 /12

The one in 1841 is interesting and I think, worth pursuing
A8888cest**ry list him as being age 20 and born in Ireland - but this is the transcript I see:

1841: Back Street, St Paul Shadwell, Tower Hamlets, Middlesex (which is under the Stepney Reg. District)
George _RAT? 31, Salesman - N
Phoebe _RAT? 26, F.S. - N
Frederick _RAT 9 - Y
Fredrich (or Fredrick) BESNY-----?? 33, Sugar Refiner - F (Foreign Born)
C. DUNZELMANN 29 (male), Pan Man - F
John BLANK 27, Blacksmith - F
H. STEMMERMANN 27 (male) Refiner - F
Fredrich GRUSS 25, Refiner - F
Plus 14 more males in the same dwelling, all Foreign born, all Refiners

This C DUNZELMANN is born abt 1812  (suspect the age 29 is as returned, but if his age is rounded he could really be as old as abt 34 (born abt 1807).

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline fams 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 10 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ambly,thank you for replying to me.I've looked on the website you gave me.I find it all very interesting as I didn't know about the history of these sugar workers. According to Valda ,Christian Danselman was buried at St.Mary's Whitechapel on the 4.5.1833 age 65 'of the workhouse' so he wouldn't be on the 1841 Census nor can I find his wife Martha on any Census and I can't find a death for her.I did ,however,come across a birth of Alfred Danselman b.28.3.1836 on the IGI-mother Martha Danselman but no father named!What do you think?