Author Topic: Passengers london to New York  (Read 3269 times)

Offline LinnettW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passengers london to New York
« on: Saturday 02 January 10 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help find these 3 siblings Robert Stephen Kirkup b 1837, Sarah Ann Kirkup b 1839 and Charles Osborn Kirkup b 1844 in London England and placed with maternal and paternal family in late 1840s after their parents died. On English census 1851 they are with those families. 1861 and Robert is in New York getting married, 1864  Charles is marrying also.  1867 Sarah dies u/m in New York. I simply cannot find their entry into the USA and hope someone can help me fill in this missing part of the family story.

LinnettW

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Passengers london to New York
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
A tree on An...try has Robert Stephen Kirkup married on 1 Jan 1860 in Brooklyn to Eliza Amelia Marquis. 8 children.
Robert died 1889 Michigan.
Charles Osborn Kirkup married to Eliza Ann Jones, Died in New York 1903. 2 children - plus photographs listed.
Another child Helena Kirkup born 8 July 1846 died 29 Oct 1847. Both London. England.
A date of death for Sarah Kirkup 28 Oct 1867 New York.
The immigration records don't start until 1878

pilot.familysearch.org gives Kirkcup births for some of Roberts children and possible marriages.
The only death I found listed was Robert S Kirkup 21 March 1892 Hudson City. Lenawee. Michigan - a travelling salesman born in England 1836. This date does'nt quite tie in with the above information on his date of death but cooincidentally -  one of his children Robert Henry was born 31 Jan 1876 in Hudson City. Lenawee. Michigan.

Happy New Year  ;D ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LinnettW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 10 03:02 GMT (UK) »
To dettori28,

Thank you very much for your answer to my posting.  I may have to resign myself to never knowing when the family arrived in the USA.  The very best to you and yours for 2010.

LinnetW

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry could'nt be more helpful. The only online database of incoming UK passenger lists that I know of doesn't start until 1878. I don't think there are any outgoing US passenger lists availabe online.  You have Robert  on the 1851 UK census and married in Brooklyn in 1860 - so he travelled between those dates.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
If they went to New York check www.castlegarden.org for passenger lists. At that period it is likely the only details shown will be name, age, occupation and country of origin.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey that site gives me a possible for one of my own USA migrants.

That was an unexpected discovery - thanks again.  ;D ;D