Author Topic: Record Look-up: Honora DOLLARD, b. ?1840, Cavan  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Sheila977

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Record Look-up: Honora DOLLARD, b. ?1840, Cavan
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Married James McCUDDEN (b.1842)
- had 5 boys - Christopher, William, Wilfred, James, Jack (?John)
- had 1 girl (Mary)
- I do not have confirmation of marriage or births - would anyone be able to locate marriage date?
I have no other information about Honora. My information is verbal (my grandfather, who was Christopher's son). Would anyone be able to help locate some deatils about her?

Any help for this neophyte would be most appreciated! Thanks, Sheila

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Record Look-up: Honora DOLLARD, b. ?1840, Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Is this the same James McCudden in your other post?
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,427901.msg2927164.html#msg2927164

Civil registration of birth started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificates for James and Honora but if they were Catholic and married after 1864 there should be a civil marriage certificate. The index is online (free)- search for bride and groom separately then cross-reference results for match, then you can order the certificate. If the marriage took place 1845 onwards and was a non-Catholic ceremony, such as Registry Office, then it should appear in the index.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
Note: Honora might appear in records as Nora, Norah, Honor, Honorah, Annora, Ann, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
What religion was this neophyte?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sheila977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm the neophyte with the geneology ... muddling through with help :). My biggest barriers/challenges are what I see are the pre- and post-1864 records. The family was/is Catholic, so it looks like it is the process of accessing records and verifying. I did that a few nights ago - cost alot, found some answers, but I was hoping there was an easier (read: less expensive) way to do this. I would search and locate names, try to stay within the townships/counties, and when I paid access to records, I could connect some, but others need more digging. Names are another issue and slight variances, perhaps by the recorder, can be a challenge, as I am sure you have already experienced. I spend more time reading right now than doing, and this site has been the most helpful, so I will continue. Thanks aghadowey for the information on searching marriage records - I would rather do it myself to learn. So will be back when I have more questions, which should be sooner than later. Thanks, Sheila

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
So you are on a learning curve!! ;D Yes you really need to narrow it down as much as you can otherwise it gets very expensive.

If you can find which church they attended, then one good and cheap way is to see if anyone nearby can look for g/stones as they can be very informative! Luckily I have relatives living in my main area which is Monaghan and can get my hands on a lot of registers etc, plus working with others has sorted out so many lines.

The first 20 years are the hardest! Sorry, but most of mine are C of I etc...splelt McCrudden/McCroden etc...

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 10 22:16 GMT (UK) »
If you get stuck ask questions- you'll find there are lots of people on Rootschat who can help. Meanwhile you might want to look at CAVAN RESOURCES at the top of this board-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,411564.0.html

Offline Lynneco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 May 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Sheila - this is my family too. Can we share details? James was b 1842 and married Honora, also known as Anne, in 1863 in Carlow. Their first son was born in Carlow on 12.7.1864.

Do contact me so we can both find out more. I'm also in contact with 7 other cousins.

Best wishes

Lynneco
McCudden - Ireland and England, (Yorkshire, Kent); Dancer (mainly Yorkshire), Shroff (England). Places: Kenton, Middlesex.

Offline Lynneco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 May 10 23:16 BST (UK) »
So glad you have been in contact. I do have more info and will share all I've got. I'm living about 8 miles from where Christopher was born! We have a mutual friend in Kieran who has helped me a lot. Would much appreciate a copy of Edward's book. How do we swap contact details - do we ask moderators to put us in contact?

Best wishes
McCudden - Ireland and England, (Yorkshire, Kent); Dancer (mainly Yorkshire), Shroff (England). Places: Kenton, Middlesex.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 May 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
You can exchange details like email addresses, etc. by PM (personal message)- usually need 3 posts to be able to do so.