Author Topic: Waterloo Road Blyth  (Read 19090 times)

Offline Zawadi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterloo Road Blyth
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 17:07 GMT (UK) »
New to the forum, but wonder if someone can help.

Researching the Smith & Gray families of Waterloo Road Blyth.  Various census shows them living at 59, 63 & 67. Both families have Master Mariners amongst them.

Don't know why, but always had a vision that these would be 3 storey Victorian terraced houses as I assumed Master Mariners to be quite wealthy. On a recent visit to Blyth, imagine our disappointment to discover that this was the sight of the 1960's concrete department store. However, the buildings on either side of this were all commercial properties with living accomodation above. The properties looked old, as though they had been there from mid 19th century and  like they had always been commercial properties.

On some of the census the families are in residence - minus the master mariner and on othere there is no trace of the whole family- small children inc.

My question is would master mariners generally take their families on their voyages and when they were back in port, would they live in what could be described as a flat above a shop?

I am unable to track down any old photographs of this part of Waterloo Road on the internet and trips to Blyth library are out of the question as I'm not from the area.

Any insight anybody has would be useful.

Gray, Smith & Corbitt Northumberland
Walton, Robinson, Malam & Mathews Cheshire
Shaw & Mason Derbyshire

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo Road Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 January 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zawadi, welcome to rootschat

In my memory there's always been a shop in that space - though not always the concrete horror that is there now!  I'll see if anyone (inc. the library) has any really old photos but that may take some time.

I have master mariners in my family also but they seemed to live in fairly modest accomodation - I suppose it depended on what type of ship they were in charge of.  I've not come across the whole family disappearing off a census though.

Other's may come along and join in - they may have a different story or at least another side to it  :)

Christine

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 10 23:32 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth - I have mariners in my family, mostly sailing up and down the east coast of England.

One of the women turns up all over the place in the censuses, apparently staying with married children while her husband is at sea.

I don't know if she travelled on the boats her husband was on - didn't sailors used to consider having a woman on board to be unlucky?

Linda

Added - welcome to RootsChat Zawadi  :)
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 10 23:59 GMT (UK) »
 For what period is your interest ?

The modern day area of Waterloo Road was not "Blyth" until 1907 when the two neighbouring  Urban Districts of Cowpen and Blyth merged as Blyth Urban District.

West and north of modern day Union Street was Cowpen territory. East and South was Blyth territory.

That street was only named Waterloo Road in 1880/90s. Previously just waterloo or Waterloo Place.

Wives did sail with MM husbands, but not usual.  The book " Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ship" by Richard Keys, gives accounts of family voyages- mostly not good outcomes.

1879 Post Office Directory shows MMs Carnaby Gray and Thomas Anderson Smith both living at/in " Waterloo field, Waterloo.

Were the numbers you quoted house numbers ?

Saying this not for first time- my view of many MMs in C19th is that they were brave chancers gettin rich or dead !
Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 January 10 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I knew you'd turn up with the detail, Michael!

The 1897 map on the wall behind me shows that Waterloo Road (as it was by then) had buildings on both sides - strangely enough, not a department store to be seen!!

Christine

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
 Well Done, Christine.

Have you also got the c1860 version on your wall.... then the street is only half the size/length ... and not named Waterloo Road.  Michael

Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline Zawadi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 January 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
This is the information I have so far

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]John Smith married Charlotte Davison  in 1847[/color]
This John Smith was a Master Mariner. His father, George Blackett Smith was also a MM.
Census records show
1851  Church Street  Charlotte & Mary 11 months
1861 – Waterloo Field – John, Charlotte,George, Jane, John (Jr) ,William & Mary Davison (Mother in law)
1871 Waterloo Road – no number Charlotte with 5 children
1881 - 59 Waterloo Road John, Charlotte, John & William
1891 60 Waterloo Road - Charlotte - widow

Thomas Gray married Elizabeth Ann Corbitt in 1856
Thomas Gray was a Master Mariner
I am unable to locate any records for Thomas Gray prior to his marriage. His father, Robert is described as a Master Mariner on Thomas’s marriage certificate and I do not know his mother’s name.
Census records show
1861 Waterloo Fields – Mary Corbitt (Elizabeth’s mother, who’s profession is  listed as House Property), Elizabeth Gray, and 2 daughters
1871 – misplaced my records, but believe family might be in residence at 63 Waterloo Road??
1881 – 67 Waterloo Road– Elizabeth, 2 daughters & a grandson
1891 – 67 Waterloo Road – Thomas , Elizabeth & Oswald Cecil (Grandson). Thomas is described as living on his own means)
1901 1 Rutherford Street – Thomas & Oswald Cecil

John Smith – son of above married Elizabeth Corbitt Gray in 1882
This John Smith was a Blacksmith / Shipsmith
Census records show
1891  1 Plessey Road,  John, Elizabeth & 3 children
1901  67 Waterloo Road John, Elizabeth, 7 children & a servant  (This is the address on my Grandmother's birth certificate and knowledge has passed through the family  that they had a servant)

Reading the above in its entirety, it looks like 67 Waterloo Road was originally purchased by the Corbitt family. (Elizabeth Ann Corbitt's father, William is described as a shop owner on Elizabeth Ann's marriage certificate to Thomas Gray. I have no further details of this. If this area of Waterloo Road has always been a commercial area, then yes, this could well be the location of his shop.)
It appears Elizabeth & Thomas Gray & their family lived there in 1881 / 1891 census, before passing residence over to their daughter & family The Smiths (1901 census) This is probably the point where I got the idea of a three storey Victorian terrace from. We have a couple in their 40's , the husband a blacksmith by trade, they have 7 children ranging from 2 to 17 and have a servant - to me this doesn't quite fit the profile of living over a shop.

The point I raised about entire families missing from census, where the father is a MM, came from my searching for Thomas Gray in 1841 & 1851 and John Smith in 1841, but as their fathers were also MM's, and I do not know their mothers names, then I do not stand much chance do I, especially with John Smith??

Any further thoughts/ help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Gray, Smith & Corbitt Northumberland
Walton, Robinson, Malam & Mathews Cheshire
Shaw & Mason Derbyshire

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 00:12 GMT (UK) »

Z,

One bit for me at a time.... John Smith /Charlotte Davison

My hunch is that from censuses 1861-1891 the family lived in the same house,
house numbers were subject to change as streets grew etc.

Church Street ( 1851) was in the Blyth ( sometimes termed " South Blyth") area
Waterloo community was in Cowpen area.

( Clear 1860 map online     communities.northumberland.gov.uk   , enter "Blyth" section, go to "Ordnance Maps" , see 1861 25" version.)

John's occupation is mentioned on four censuses 1851-1881. On 1851 Charlotte declares him a Mariner. On 1861 John also declares himself a Mariner.
On 1871 Charlotte calls herself a "Master Mariner's Wife". On 1881 John terms himself a " Mariner".  So was he a Master Mariner or a Mariner ?

More later.

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 00:47 GMT (UK) »
This website is also good for maps - hopefully it should take you straight to the Blyth page

http://www.keystothepast.info/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=N13847

At the bottom of the page click on 'location on map'.  This will be a modern map.  You will have to pan north east to get Waterloo Road in the centre but when you do you can then select maps from previous times to see how the place has developed.

Christine