Author Topic: fair, renton, jenkinson  (Read 3131 times)

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
fair, renton, jenkinson
« on: Sunday 03 January 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »

Wondering if anybody has information on Rentons that lived in 14 Market square Coldstream.

My great great grandmother was Hellen Fair Renton Jenkinson married to Robert Jenkinson at Springwells Eccles 1874

I  know that Elizabeth Renton her sister lived there in 1918 because that is where she lived when her son Corporal 200317 John Renton 1/4th KOSB was killed in WW1 ...Queant road Buissy France .

Also, some of her nephews (Jenkinsons) seemed to stay with her at that address off and on.
Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: fair, renton, jenkinson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 January 10 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi aitchscot

Happy New Year
  ;D
I think perhaps we need to clarify what it is you are looking for and what you already have?

14 Market square Coldstream
Address of Elizabeth RENTON in 1918, when her John RENTON died in WW1, age 28.
His CWGC entry says "Son of Mrs. Betsy Renton, of 14, Market Square, Coldstream, Berwickshire"

The  1901 Census, has him (age 11) and his mother Betsy RENTON age 44, living with Betsy's brother John RENTON 46 - at 9 Market Square Coldstream

Is it already established that Betsy was not really a Mrs and was a biological sister to John RENTON age 46 and to Hellen?
Have you got all the Census' for the RENTONS? For Hellen Fair JENKINSON nee RENTON?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: fair, renton, jenkinson
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 January 10 09:12 GMT (UK) »

Hullo Ambly,

Many thanks for that info. I am not sure what i am looking for. It is just an address that pops up from time too time during my searching.

My Grandfather was Robert J Aitchison born Swinton Hill 1906 died Midlothian 1983. His father was Thomas Greenlaw Aitchison 1873-1949.
His mother was Jane Fair Renton Jenkinson, daughter of Robert Jenkinson and Hellen F Renton. My grandfather told us that his mother died in childbirth in 1906. this does not now seem to be the case, she infact died at Ayton Law in 1930 when he was 25.

Do you happen to know if Elizabeth Renton is interred at Lennel?
My Great Great Grandfather Robert Aitchison & his wife Isabella Greenlaw are interred at Lennel. I cleaned the stone there in 2006.
hmm, if the snaw wasn't here, i'd probably be out today raking around kirk yards and cemeteries, ha.

Sadly, when my late Grandmother died, no one had the thought to save the boxes of photos belonging to my Grandfather, so i have no photos of my ancestors..this will be the case with most folk researching their past, i suspect?

One question please: What are War returns...are they soldiers sent home for burial? i notice a lot of military headstones in the kirk yards, and
often wonder if they are really interred there?

Many thanks

Brian
Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.