Author Topic: re applications for passports to come to england  (Read 891 times)

Offline essexgg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
re applications for passports to come to england
« on: Monday 04 January 10 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Please could some look up for me the application for a passport for one carl henry bongartz or german spelling Karl heinrich Bonkartz. or may originally for johann wilhelm bongarty or johann wilhelm bongartz. he was born in january of either 1886 or 1887, parents henry Bonkartz aged 40 in 1901 mother johanna 34 in 1901 , sister christine 12 in 1901 and Karl was 14 in 1901. They were not on the british cencurs in 1891, on the 1901 cencurs it states where it say where born its got luebeck german. So figured if i found out when they applied for passport  Carl then it may tell me when they came. Would be most grateful.
                               Thank you
                                Alison

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: re applications for passports to come to england
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Alison, German Passports are issued from the Standesamt, the same place you apply for a Birth Certificate.

Regards, Peonie

Offline essexgg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi peonie
I was told you can look up to see  when a application for a passport was made, Peonie  are you able to tell me the phone number of the office in luebeck germany. Please, i am most gratefull for you replying thank you.
                                   Take care
                                   Alison

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Alison,

Passports as we know then now did not really exist back then. Travel papers may have been issued, however, to emigrate from Germany, a person was supposed to apply for release from German nationality (Entlassung aus dem Nexus). In reality, very few did; they were technically illegal emigrants. Bear in mind that there were virtually no immigration controls at the time.

The look-up of passport applications you mention is possibly only for US passports via ancestry.

Have you searched the incoming passenger records?

Have you searched for naturalisation records? Such records would state how long an individual had been resident in the UK.

This record at the NA relates to the application for naturalisation of C H Bongartz, born 27 Jan 1887. (http://www.rootschat.com/links/07s7/ )

Justin