Author Topic: Charles and Annie CROCK - Cardiff to Johannesburg COMPLETED  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charles and Annie CROCK - Cardiff to Johannesburg COMPLETED
« on: Monday 14 March 05 19:18 GMT (UK) »
The brother of my Great Grandfather emigrated with his wife and family to Johannesburg sometime after 1909 and I would love to try and contact some of their descendants. bu am at a complete loss as to how to go about it.  I would really appreciate some advice.

This is what I know:

Charles Crock was born in Mancester circa 1877, his parents were Charles Crock and Sarah Gray, and his siblings were Selina, born 1875, George born 1879 and Herbert (my Great Grandfather) born 1882.  Charles moved with his parents and siblings to South Wales in about 1884.  He was a boilermaker.

Charles married Annie Twigden in Cardiff in 1897.  They lived with Annies mother and stepfather who were called Alexander and Anne McIvor. 

Charles and Annie had 11 children.  I can only found births registered for 7 of them so presumably the last 4 were born in South Africa.  The last birth I have found was in 1909 so it would seem that they emigrated shortly after that time. 

Here are the children I know of - all born in Cardiff.

Annie Wilhemina Crock, born circa 1898
Edith Selina Crock, born circa 1899
Lilian Augusta Crock, born 1901
Charles Herbert Corck, born circa 1902
Dorothy Maud Crock, born circa 1903
Ernest Alexander Crock, born 1907
Norah Phyllis Crock, born 1909

My grandmother now 84 and her siblings never knew any of Charles and Annies children (who would have been their cousins) but they did get to meet their "Uncle Charlie" on a few occaisions when he came back to Wales on holidays.  Apparently Charles Crock died in Johannesburg after having been run over by a tram, in suspicious circumstances (allegedly!).  I don't know when exactly this was, but it seems that it must have been after 1948 as Charles visited family in Wales during that year - actually according to my Grandmother his last visit was after 1950, but her siblings think that it was prior to 1950.

I have recently been given an old address book  that belonged to my great grandparents and there is an address for Charles Crock in that, the notebook starts in the 1940s and ends in the 1960s so I've no way of knowing when the family lived at that address, but I suspect it was the last known address of Charles Crock in South Africa -  Fraser Street, Turffontein, Johannesburg - after he died all contact with his children was lost.  I've recently found some photographs which I think must be of this family as the gardens in the background  are somewhat tropical!

Anyway, thanks for reading this - and as I said, any advice on how to go about finding decscendants would be very much appreciated.

Caro

BROCKWAY: Glamorgan & Wiltshire
CROCK:Glamorgan, London, Surrey & North England
DIAMOND: Glamorgan & Taunton, Somerset
DOMONEY/DOMINEY: Dorset
HARVEY: Glamorgan
LATCHEM: Radstock, Somerset
PAGE: Glamorgan & Warwickshire
PLENTY: Glamorgan & Somerset
ROBERTS: Glamorgan & Radstock,  Somerset
RODERICK: Glamorgan
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall
SHAW: Glamorgan, Somerset & Devon
THOMAS: Glamorgan
VENNER: Somerset
WEBB: Glamorgan & Tufton, Hampshire
WRIVET/WREVET[T]: Cornwall

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles and Annie CROCK - Cardiff to Johannesburg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caro
Having just typed a long reply i have just lost it so may send the reply in pieces to avoid the same happening! (If you need any more details after reading the end of this email let me know)
My apologies for the delay - have had 2 terrible months.
2 baptisms for you - you probably have these as I saw your name on the site
First Names:
 Brian David

Parents:
 Ernest Alexander and Isabella Ann

Birth Date:
 20/01/1937

Baptised Date:
 27/02/1938

Methodist Parish Records, Nigel Christenings: 1897-1940

Source:
 Microfilm# 1560871, Entry #273, Item 3

Transcriber:
 Ellen Stanton

but ..............................since then have spoken to Brian Davids wife ( he was in the background) who lives here in Durban!!!!!!!! Will send her email address via PM and she will fill you in on all the details!!!!
Good luck
Ruth

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth

Thank you for your reply.

I do have those baptisms, but I only found them after posting my message here as I found the site by looking at links that you have posted in earlier messages :-)

Ernest Alexander Crock would be the first cousin of my Grandmother (who is still living), although she would never have met him.

I have got you PM and will send an email to Brian Davids wife introducing myself and will let you know what happens after that!

Thank you so  much for your help, it's very much appreciated. I have been trying to find some of my South African Cousins for quite some time.

Caro  ;D ;D ;D
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall
SHAW: Glamorgan, Somerset & Devon
THOMAS: Glamorgan
VENNER: Somerset
WEBB: Glamorgan & Tufton, Hampshire
WRIVET/WREVET[T]: Cornwall

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 April 05 01:05 BST (UK) »
Just a quick thank you again to Ruth.

I've been in contact with a cousin in South Africa and I've learned a lot - I've been able to fill in a lot of missing facts as it were!

Thank you so much for your help Ruth.

Caro