Author Topic: REQUEST for Rockewell Green  (Read 1114 times)

Offline canadian_girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REQUEST for Rockewell Green
« on: Tuesday 05 January 10 01:21 GMT (UK) »
I am new and I am hoping I am doing this right. I am looking for someone in the Rockwell Green area that may possibly be able to drive by my grandmother, and great great grandmothers house and snap a photo and email it to me.   ::) It would be so appreciated. Thank you!

The address is #2 Perry Elm Cottage, Rockwell Green Somerset. Thanks again, Tina  ;)

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: REQUEST for Rockewell Green
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 January 10 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi canadian_girl

I am local to the area of your request but how long ago was this address last occupied by your ancestors?  Today there is a working Perry Elm Farm which I suppose could have had cottages nearby to it in the past but possibly not currently.  It is not driveable past as its down a lane off the main road.

Have you any more info?

SS
It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun

Offline canadian_girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 10 00:03 GMT (UK) »
My auntie was there about 6 years ago and she could still get to it. As I have never been there in my life, I am not sure but I am going to call and ask my grama.
My grama is the one that lived there and the address she gives is #2 Perry Elm Cottages. It is just one brick 2 story house. Grama said it was on a road, not down a driveway,,  my mom is going to phone my auntie after supper and see if she remembers the name of the road.
Now I am wondering also ,, she was telling me a story today about some lady who was very poor and promised her soul to the devil if he would not let her children starve. There was 2 cave like openings and was rumoured to be haunted,, living in this area have you ever heard the story? All the children believed it to be haunted and my grama had to go past it every day to school and her and her friends would run as fast as they could to get past the opening scared out of their witts..haha.

Offline somersetlass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 10 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I've not found the Perry Elm Cottages name in our local postcode directory so I'm thinking it has either been renamed or redeveloped.  Locals remember there were five Perry Elm Cottages originally but seemed to think most were replaced by bungalows.  They would have been between All Saints Church and Perry Elm Farm on the Exter Road going out of Rockwell Green.  Do you know which side of the road No 2 was on as you head out in the Devon direction?

In a 1931 Wellington Directory there is listed a Mrs B Warren at Perry Elm Cottages but not with a number.  In another later 1949-50 street directory I have found Nos 1 & 2 Perry Elm Cottages listed.

Did your Grama go to school in Rockwell Green?  If so it would only have been a short walk past the Church then turning left into the main part of the village and the school was right there on the left.  I haven't heard of this ghost story though!

SS
It simply takes      “One act of Random Kindness at a time”      to change the world

Research areas:
mainly Devon and Somerset
but also South Wales, Sussex, Sheffield, Northern Ireland, Fifeshire

Names:
Marshall & Goldsworthy; Bass & Nicol; Worden & Hobbs; Noble & Haste
Woodberry & Chorley; Moon & Hart; Brice & Richards; Denham & Honeybun