Author Topic: *Completed*Joseph W. STENT to NY before 1835  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
*Completed*Joseph W. STENT to NY before 1835
« on: Wednesday 06 January 10 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Fellow listers

I am looking for information about Joseph STENT, born about 1806 and originally from Somerset in England, who may have emigrated to the US.

I can't find any record of him after his marriage to Mary CANDY in 1822, but someone has sent me a record for a Joseph STENT, a carpenter in New York, in 1835.  The original source of the record is  'New York Genealogical Records, 1675-1920,' in particular Longworth's American Almanac, New-York Register, and City Directory, 1835, page 646.

I would be interested to know if there is any record of a passenger called Joseph STENT coming from England to America between 1822 and 1835, or any sign of Joseph and Mary (born about 1803) in the US Census for 1840 or 1850?

Any sighting would be very welcome; I have been looking for these people for years, and they both simply disappear out of the UK records after 1822.

I look forward to receiving any help or suggestions about this search.

Many thanks in anticipation

Philip Candy

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph STENT to NY before 1835
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip

I am not sure how helpful the following information will be but have found a Joseph and Mary of the correct ages in the 1860 USA census.

1860 census, Baltimore City, Maryland

Jos Stent, age 54, Carpenter, Value of personal estate 1000, born England
Mary, age 57, born England
Sarah Stent, age 36, England
Olivia, age 7, born Maryland
Kate Dinsmore, age 16, Dressmaker, born Ireland

This looks very promising, especially with the occupation albeit in Maryland, USA.....I have searched and cannot find anything else at all in any other census (used every possible search technique that I can think of...even the new wildcard search on Ancestry)

The only other thing for a Joseph Stent is a New York City petition for naturalization card dated 1839.

Details:

Joseph W Stent

Date of naturalization April 5th 1839
Address, New York City
Former Nationality, English
Witness to naturalization, Caleb Cridland, NY City

Those are the only details on the card and connect with the reference you have from the New York Genealogical Records. I have searched for Caleb Cridland who is on both the 1830 and 1840 census and looked at the images to see if Joseph was a neighbour (mistranscibed or mis -enumerated) but haven't found anything at all.

Sorry that I haven't come up with anything more meaningful but I will continue to search.

Best wishes

Yvonne
My family research
Sheridan - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA, Birmingham, England
Finnegan - Ireland, New York, USA
Gilmartin - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA
Cashal -  Ireland, New York, USA
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

My husbands family research
Robinson - Birmingham, England
Turner - Birmingham, England
Beresford - Birmingham, England
Hall - Birmingham, England

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear Yvonne

I can't get over the fact that these people's ages are exactly right, with Mary being 3 years older than Joseph. And when you include Sarah, who is precisely the right age to have been born to a young couple married in 1822, it's truly compelling.

My guess would be that Olivia was their granddaughter, so maybe she will prove a key to locating this couple in later censuses. I can't however, see her in 1870 or 1880 censuses.

I have also had a go at finding this family in 1850 (and, for that matter, in 1870) but so far without success. I have tried every trick I can think of to find these people, but if they are somewhere in the US, then they're certainly well hidden.  I did manage to find an online version of Woods' Baltimore Directory for 1864 (see:  http://www.archive.org/stream/woodsbaltimoreci1864balt#page/380/mode/2up/search/stent) which confirms that J W Stent, a carpenter, was at 160 Garden Street Baltimore in 1864.  This links in with the naturalisation record you found, and suggests  that they family were indeed in the US at least as early as 1839.

Did you have any luck with possible emigration records? My guess would be that they came to the US around 1825 or 1826. but if we could find them in 1850, there may be other children besides Sarah still at home with them, giving other possible lines of research.

Thank you so much for going to all this trouble on my behalf. For the first time in years, I have a glimmer of hope about this missing branch of the family.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 10 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Further to my earlier posting, I found a whole set of Woods' Baltimore Directories online. The edition for 1860 has two separate entries, both at the same addres:

J W Stent, carpenter 160 Garden Street
Mrs and Miss Stent, dressmakers 160 Garden Street

By 1865, the only entry is as follows:
Mrs Louisa Stent, Dress and Cloakmaker, 160 Garden Street.

Assuming that this is an error for Mary Stent, it implies that Joseph may have died between 1864 and 1865.  It also suggests that 'Mrs Stent' may be found on her own in 1870 or subsequent censuses.

Unfortunately I can't see any sign of Joseph Stent in any Directory earlier than 1860.

Maybe this will help with narrowing the search.

Kind regards and thanks

Phil Candy

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph W. STENT to NY before 1835
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 10 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Fellow listers

Since my original posting, I have discovered that Joseph went by the name of Joseph W STENT or J W STENT.

Does this help to identify him and his family in the passenger lists?  I am keen to find out what other family members may have travelled with him (wife and children). I believe he arrived in about 1831.

I would also appreciate help with finding this family in 1850 (please see: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,429032.0.html)

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 10 23:29 GMT (UK) »
This is the closes immigration entry I could find:

1828 New York arrival

Joseph Stunt age 22 born abt 1806
Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 10 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks indeed. This looks very promising, especially since he was indeed born in 1806.

Is there any matching entry for his wife (Mary) who was a bit older than him; born in 1803, and any children?  They seem to have had a daughter (Sarah) who was born about 1824, but ther may be others as well.

I'd be really grateful for that additional information.

Many thanks

Philip Candy

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
Fellow listers

I am pleased to report that the Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild has come to the rescue. Joseph and Mary STENT, and their young daughter Sarah, arrived in New York on 11 May 1832 aboard the Cambridge (see: http://www.immigrantships.net/v12/1800v12/cambridge18320511.html

Many thanks to transcriber Dorothy J. Smiley who posted this very welcome information on 27 February 2011.

With this information, this particular thread is now closed; many thanks to all for your contributions.

Kind regards

Phil Candy
Toowoomba, Australia