Author Topic: Edinburgh Look up  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Angus Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edinburgh Look up
« on: Sunday 10 January 10 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get more information on my GGF David Allan and I am hoping his will is at NAS.  He was born in Glasgow 1888, married to Helen Dunlop in 1906 and had two boys, my GF Thomas Henry and David who died in WW2.

My GGF died in WW1 but there are a few David Allan's that enlisted and that were born in Scotland, so if someone could take a look at a couple of wills in NAS, then this may narrow it down.  (I live in Somerset :-\)

The first reference is SC70/8/141/9 regiment number 2869 and the second reference I have is SC70/8/696/16 regiment number 650278.

I have a few more regiment numbers, but I'm hitting a brick wall trying to confirm which is my David Allan;  12395; 240621; 551093, so if anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful. :)
banned / spam IP

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Look up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 10 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus

If you look at the Commonwealth War Graves Commision website you may find some details for the various D Allans who died in WW1 such as age, parents names etc which could help you narrow down your list of possibilities. Not all of them have such details but a couple have full info including addresses of next of kin.

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

Hope this helps

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Angus Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 10 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

Yes, I have looked at that to whittle the list down, but thanks, any suggestions are greatly received! :)
banned / spam IP

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus, :)

I think I've managed to narrow down that list to just three D. Allans. All the rest either are the wrong age, have different Christian names (or have middle names - your David didn't, I take it?) or have different parents/spouses listed on their CWGC record. The likely ones are:

David Allan, Private of the Scots Guards (5088), d. 18/12/1914
David Allan, Private of the King's Own Scottish Borderers (12395), d. 11/04/1918
David Allan, Private of the Highland Light Infantry (240621), d. 13/04/1918

You may want to try the Roll of Honour on this website for WW1. I believe sometimes the place of birth is listed, so it should help to narrow down just that bit more which regiment your David served in.

http://www.military-genealogy.com/

A post on the Military boards here would help too. There's a lot of knowledgeable chaps over there who'll probably find the information in a second! ;D

hume

PS.
The first reference is SC70/8/141/9 regiment number 2869 and the second reference I have is SC70/8/696/16 regiment number 650278.

The first is David B. Allan, son of William and Janet Forbes Allan of Sandyford Street, Kelvinhaugh. He was only 19 in 1915 (when he died), so would be born c. 1896. The second was the son of John and Janet Russell Allan, and husband of Jean O. Allan of Marchmont Crescent, Edinburgh. He was 29 in 1917 so while he matches the age of your David, the family details seem to rule him out.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 10 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Angus, posting again. ;D

Was David's son, also David, the man who died in 1942 aged 29? CWGC record: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2119095 If so, could it be he followed his father's regiment and enlisted in the Highland Light Infantry? Not guaranteed of course, but always something to consider.

hume :)

Offline Angus Bruce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hume,

Wow, thank you so much.  Yes that is my GGF's son David and I did think along those lines, that father would follow son.  Of the three possibles for GGF David, I have discounted 5088 as he was born in Kirkcaldy Fife, so that leaves us with two possibles;

David Allan, Private of the King's Own Scottish Borderers (12395), d. 11/04/1918
David Allan, Private of the Highland Light Infantry (240621), d. 13/04/1918

As you suggest, I will post these on the military boards  - thanks so much for your help  :D

banned / spam IP