Author Topic: walsers  (Read 2118 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
walsers
« on: Monday 11 January 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
i have just found out that annie rogers who went under the names of snook and birch married john hughes of ther robert hughes and sarah davis clan.somehow i have yet to work out how the hughes and birches became involved and blood related to the walsers who ran a circus eventually settling in plymouth where they had walsers wonderland,with wax works,beared ladies,ect.,this was all in the mid to late 1800s and in the early 1900s.does anyone have anymore info?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: walsers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 18:28 GMT (UK) »
My understanding is that Susannah Snook had children with Thomas Wallser - they didn't marry - they had 2 children; Susan Sarah 1903 and Harriet Ellen 1905

Phil

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 21:07 GMT (UK) »
susannah was also known as birch aswell as snook.harriet ellen was born 4th december 1904.her perants were living at 73 the octogon,plymouth.harriet ellen was always called haddy.susannah became thomas housekeeper before becoming his common law wife.
their first child susan sarah lenora walser was born june 8th 1903 when thomas was 63 years old and his wife susannah was 36!!!!
i find i am related to them all through annie rogers/snook/burch who was susannahs sister and annie married john hughes.john huges being the brother of our great grandad leonard hughes son of robert hughes and sarah  davis.

Offline Philezra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thomas is a Great Great Uncle - one of his brothers John is my Great Great Grandfather - do you have much on the Wallsers? There are 2 Ls in Wallser

Phil 

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 09:17 GMT (UK) »
yes i have alot,back to 1700s.nice to be in touch with you.do you know who the james burch that annie rogers/snook/hughes grew up with?i have never been able to find him and his connection tyo the girls.regards cathay

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
john walzer(wallser)was born abou5t 1746 and may wello have come over from germany.it is thought he brought his wife with him and they lived in the fields of stepney bow.his likly trade was in woodworking.by 1765 they had made their way to kent and there their son the first thomas wallser was born and baptised that year in deptford.john wallser is listed as a turner for his occupation.its also likely they had another son william born between essex and suffolk.prior to 1780 sarah died leaving john a widower.july 9th 1780 john married again to a lady called mary tedder bqck in deptford kent.jhn and mary had at least 6 children,mary being the first born in 1781.by 1785 they had moved to london and another child henry was baptised dec 11th 1785.by 1796 possibly the last child was born martha in shoreditch.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
i am still looking for the connection to james burch!was he an uncle or just a friend.