Author Topic: Psychic Genealogy  (Read 44545 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Psychic Genealogy
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 January 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena,

Someone is telling me to ask you about the name Speight. :D

But seriously, in the interest of leaving no stone unturned, have you ever come across a Richard Speight b1777 Kendal, Westmorland? I've exhausted most of the normal avenues.

Paul

Hi there,
I've been following a direct line of William and Matthew with the odd injecton of Godfrey Speight(s). 

The earliest mentions of the surname in the north has been York and Cumbria - have you seen that there's a yeoman Richard Speight on a2a?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/advanced-search.aspx?tab=1

oops sorry didn't see this had already been answered
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 January 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Rena, I hadn't twigged that you are looking for Speights too  :)

KR
Gaie 

Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 January 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Notice.

Mediums and spiritualists meeting 11th Jan 2010

Cancelled due to unforseen weather.
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 January 10 21:11 GMT (UK) »

KR
Gaie 

That was sort of my point ... I had noticed Rena had Speights in her list a few days ago and planned to make contact. Just demonstrating a rather silly parallel with most spiritualists (in my opinion) who are probably just near-genius at observation.

And ... of course ... thanks for the new lead both of you!!!  :) :) :)

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 January 10 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Notice.
Mediums and spiritualists meeting 11th Jan 2010
Cancelled due to unforseen weather.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 January 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
KR
Gaie 

That was sort of my point ... I had noticed Rena had Speights in her list a few days ago and planned to make contact. Just demonstrating a rather silly parallel with most spiritualists (in my opinion) who are probably just near-genius at observation.
And ... of course ... thanks for the new lead both of you!!!  :) :) :)
Paul

Speight is translated as "Woodpecker", which was considered a god in the days of Yor - it's been muted that Speeton in Yorkshire was the original worship place.  I've had a look in the Domesday Book and coincidentally see there was a "Richard" amongst the residents of Speeton:

<<Domesday place name:    Specton/Spetton/Spretone
People mentioned:    Arnketil; Asulf; Eadwulf; Earl Waltheof; Gamal; Gunwor; Karli; Ketilbert; Knut; Kolgrimr; Leofwine; Ligulf; Men of Nigel Fossard; man of Robert, Count of Mortain; Muli; Mylnu-Grimr; Nigel Fossard; Northmann; Orm; Richard de Sourdeval; Sunulf; Thorfinnr; Thorkil; Uhtraed; Ulf>>  and maybe this could be my original William ... William de Percy

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/domesday/

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
its a funny old world but as shakespeare said " There are more things in heaven and earth that are dreamt of in your philosophy Horatio-"Hamlet.  So maybe he had a point, we will never know what is out there......

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Forgive me Rena, I never responded to your Speight detail. I must have gone exploring the doomsday book and got lost.  :D

Thank you.

I hope one day to connect up my Richard b1777 Kendal. :)

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I haven't replied to David64's request for instances of success through divining - have been mulling it over as I know some folk tend to scoff.  There are some of us who sometimes "receive" information - usually without knowing at the time what it means - this has happened to myself and a member of my family twice in relation to the death of a cousin.  Am not prepared to enlarge any further on that one.

I will give one instance of divining, which was done for me by someone who knew nothing of my family.  The person was given the names of three couples, any of which could have been the parents of my g-g-grandfather

The first couple the needle swung for no
The second couple the needle swung for yes
The third couple the needle hung unmoving for a short while then began to jump around and swing quite violently for no (as the person divining said to me "it's as if it was saying for goodness sake I've given you the answer why are you asking again"!)

Obviously if you don't know the answers to your questions you then have to look for confirmation but it does give you a starting point and obviously you must ask a question which can be answered with a yes or a no.

I haven't tried looking for places but seemingly it works quite well  with a map.

Answer number two was the correct one - the second couple were the parents of my g-g-grandfather!!