Author Topic: Psychic Genealogy  (Read 44541 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Psychic Genealogy
« on: Monday 11 January 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Just wondered if anyone has ever tried or heard of psychics or some forum of spiritual medium being consulted in genealogical research.

My interest in the area was piqued after I heard of a third cousin once removed (adopted - so no real relation) going to a medium. She asked the medium if she could put her in touch with her mother, to which she got the reply, "Which mother would you like to know about? Your real mother or your adopted mother?"

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Psychic Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Oooo-er, that is uncanny isn`t it,I have never been to a seance but have friends who have and I don`t think it is for me , I`ll leave well alone I think but It would be interesting to hear other RootsChatter`s experiences.  Viktoria.

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 10 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Ohhhhh I wish I could afford a few sessions with John Edward or Lisa Williams!!!
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, haven't tried the psychic route but have tried skrying (divining) with some really outstanding results.  Especially if you can get someone to do it for you, who knows nothing about the question you ask but you do know the answer yourself.  Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced the results myself.

ceeoh

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, haven't tried the psychic route but have tried skrying (divining) with some really outstanding results.  Especially if you can get someone to do it for you, who knows nothing about the question you ask but you do know the answer yourself.  Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced the results myself.

ceeoh

Would you be able to elaborate on the results you got?

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I am a little doubtful about this.  Surely going through a medium you are using a secondary source and need to check with the original.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I am a little doubtful about this.  Surely going through a medium you are using a secondary source and need to check with the original.

David

Yes. Although, you could use the information to search for primary documents. Otherwise what the medium gives you would be your only source.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 10 23:55 GMT (UK) »
My daughter came back from seeing a medium and included in her notes was; "Priscilla - please ask your mother to put me in the tree"   :o

At the time I hadn't come across the name.  Roll forward a year or so and I finally found my gt.grandmother Yorkshire born 17 yr old Lucy Speight hiding in Derbyshire in the 1871 census under the name Lucy Spaight working as a domestic and included in the list was the Yorkshire born cook Priscilla Speight, who I discovered was a cousin of Lucy's father.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 18:06 GMT (UK) »
The whole thing is scary, but I would love a session with my paternal GGF to ask him who his parents were. No names in case I do consult a medium and  (s)he reads this posting and gives me a "false" positive.
Though I am extremely dubious about contact with "the other side" I am not arrogant enough to believe that everything is known to science or ever will be known to science. So, provided not known to the medium might be worth a shot or £10 or whatever the going rate is.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)