Author Topic: Emilie Bauer  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Nantucket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emilie Bauer
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »

If you find an Emily Percy living with her son Henry Percy in Wesgate Newcastle Upon Tyne in the 1891 and 1901 censuses you will that Emily is from Germany and was born there around 1857.I found that the father Charles Percy is not there at all , there is no death for him in BMD.

I got Henry's Birth certificate and found Henry's Mother's maiden name is 'Bauer'. I would like someomne to help me find a bit about Emily's life before in Germany? Or when she immigrated?

Emily and Charles seem to have not wed at all.

Thanks David

Offline Nantucket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Emilie Bauer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Charles occupation was a 'scene artist in theatre'

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Tricky!

You might want to look at John Bauer who married in Newcastle in 1886, and Frederick Bauer who was b. there in 1890 (freebmd) - could be Emily's brother and nephew?

I see you have other posts on this, it would be best to keep all the posts on one thread, really.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,428622.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,428317.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,408697.0.html

53 George Street where he was born, has the same family living there in 1881 and 1891 (in 1881 they are listed as "Barrow").
Have you tried looking in Scotland for the marriage? There are quite a few Percys from Scotland around.
Also given that Charles was a "scene artist", you might look for Bauers who were in the theatre business,  perhaps Emily was a singer or actress when she first came to the UK.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nantucket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Where would you find Scottish marriages on the internet?

Thanks Jorose!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Best place to look is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

re your PM, passenger lists for ships from Europe were generally not kept in the UK, and I don't have any access to German emigration records.

Offline Nantucket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 10 12:15 GMT (UK) »
There was no marriages there unfortunatly  :-\

Was it heard of for some couples to not marry altogether?

David

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 10 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Certainly it happened, more than people think - and especially as Charles Percy appears to have not stayed around.
There were couples who stayed together but didn't marry (either they couldn't, because one had been married before and their spouse was still alive, or they just didn't), and illegitimate children whose mothers simply became the "widow" of the father - far more respectable.

If I were you, I would look into the 1886 marriage (John Bauer) and the 1890 birth of Frederick John Bauer, as the only possible relatives in the area.  They don't seem to have stayed in the area, but John Bauer's wife was probably Lina MILDENBERGER, and there are Mildenberger's who lived in Westgate.

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=54&p=topics.immigration.europe.gernamemig
 - someone related to John Bauer and Lina Mildenberger here.  It's interesting that John's father's surname on his marriage certificate is given as "Schifler"!

Offline Nantucket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 10 17:00 GMT (UK) »
That is some great stuff there Jorose ! I have been reading it for about an hour now and it has gave me alot to ponder on!

I was wondering if many Germany emigrants changed their surname so they may slip into British society easier ?, especially in the the war years 1914-1918.

There is a Emilie Bauer witht he same birth date who is living in cheshire as a governess in 1881? I found it on lds and I was wondering what you make of it.It seems a bit off putting , mainly because of her occupation of a governess to a dressmaker 10 years later in 1891.

Cheers,
David

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 January 10 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Governess was generally a live-in job; women who worked as domestic servants or other staff who lived in the household who got pregnant out of wedlock generally then lost those jobs when the pregnancy was discovered and might have trouble finding a new one - particularly if the previous employer wouldn't give them a good reference. A lot can happen in ten years, too.

There's no proof either way that the governess is the same person, really.  I would contact the person related to John Bauer and see if there's any trace (maybe witnesses on his marriage certificate, or maybe he lived at the same or nearby address as where Henry was born) of Emilie being connected to him.