Author Topic: Goldbeater Apprentice Records (COMPLETED) see last entry  (Read 8922 times)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Goldbeater Apprentice Records (COMPLETED) see last entry
« on: Tuesday 12 January 10 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise. 
My g/g/grandfather was a Goldbeater.  I contacted the Goldsmiths in the City of London & they told me they could not check their records to see if he had done an aprrenticeship.  Funny about 2 years later they could do it for Patsy Kensit!!!

Does anyone know how I can find his records if the Goldsmiths Guild will not help?

I do know that at one point in his career, when the railings & gates at Buckingham Palace were being re-furbished he worked on them.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Goldbeater Apprentice Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the Goldsmiths Company still holds most of its records and has not deposited them at Guildhall Library like most of the City Livery Companies.

Will they let you view the apprentice records if you visit Goldsmiths' Hall?

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Must admit that when I contacted them several years ago, they were not all that helpful, in fact I found the person I was talking to quite discouraging.

I think I will try again, if I can view their records in person then that would be great, as I have his dob & dod, so that would give a timeline to check.  He must have been quite active as his son-in-law was a metal dealer, I mght even find something on him too, you never know.  If they are not too helpful again I will mention that all I want is the same type of info that they were able to give Patsy Kensit, which did not look too difficult.  All their records are in year order etc. so I cannot see how hard it can be!

Will call them again some time next week when my voice is back to normal, very croaky at present & too much talking makes me cough, much to other halfs delight I am not talking much at present, boy is he in for it when I feel better :D
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)

Offline wjrobin64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
There is a book called goldsmiths and there marks it is very helpfull

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 July 10 15:08 BST (UK) »
Plummie Girl, I believe the goldsmiths require you to make an appointment and to pay a charge to view their records.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline wjrobin64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 July 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
Not correct their Is a book as I have stated

Goldsmith marks of London and Ireland

look it up at your local library

you may have to borrow it from the inter library loan program

Or call your local art musuem, they may have a copy of it.

Offline wjrobin64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 July 10 15:28 BST (UK) »
what was his full name

try looking under the city directories under goldsmiths

bill

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
There would seem to be something of a difference between a book of goldsmiths' marks and the historical records of the guild unless the book was published by the goldsmiths.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 16:04 BST (UK) »
I think that you are confusing Goldsmiths with Goldbeaters.

A Goldsmith would in all probability "lodged" his mark with the Goldsmiths company

But a Goldbeater was not considered skilled enough to have a mark.  He would have in all probability worked for a Goldsmith or been a journeyman.

And the Goldsmiths Company are not open at weekends, so getting there in the week is a nightmare.

I am still in 2 minds whether or not to speak to them again, not sure if I can keep my temper should they tell me again that they can not help.