Author Topic: COMPLETED THANKYOU! German Handwriting translation please  (Read 784 times)

Offline tristiw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED THANKYOU! German Handwriting translation please
« on: Friday 15 January 10 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Here is a post card of some unknown family members.  I am trying to establish where they fit in.  I've played with the writing on the back and got:
"Liebe Mathilde sende dir nach ein Andenken von Deinem U Br. Herman bei seinem Hiersein.
Dat. weiss ich nicht mehr genau so in den 20 iger Jahren"
Translated automatically by machine it gives: "Dear Mathilde sends you to a memory of your U Br(other) Herman with its Hiersein. I know Dat. no longer exactly the same in 20 iger the years" 
'Dat' is obviously an abbreviation, but I don't know what it's short for.
The embossing on the front of the post card says:  "H.Freter, Photg. Zurich I L?immatquai 22", which I assume means the photo was taken in 1922?
Can you do better?
I'm after a translation and your opinion as to whether the letter is addressed to Mathilde or if she's in the picture.  I currently don't have any 'Mathilde's in the family, except for a Mathlide Weiss that died in 1913, and she doesn't seem to fit.  I haven't got any Hermans yet. 
Thanks for your help, Cheers, Tristi
RIDGWAY - England & Australia
WOERZ (WÖRZ) - Australia, Palestine, West Germany

Find out about the search at:
http://missingevelyn.wordpress.com
Why spend a lifetime wondering?

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: German Handwriting translation please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 10 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tristi,

You have it nearly right. ..........sende Dir noch ...........von Deinem lb (lieben ) Bruder. Dat(um)....

Dear Mathilde, (I) send you another memento from your dear brother Hermann during his stay with us. Don't know the date anymore, but it was in the twenties. (Noch - it depends on the intonation if it means another or they could have corresponded before and she sends her the photo later)

In front it says Limmatquai 22, in Germany the house number follows the street name. Zuerich is on the Limmat River.

Mathilde receives the photo from the hosts who I gather are in the photo with her brother Hermann. Didn't you mention a Hermann with the last photo? (Hermann - doppel m the dash above the n means doppel it)

Better send this off quickly. I'm using my daughter's very temperamental lap top who looses my letters constantly.

Regards Peonie

Offline tristiw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Handwriting translation please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 10 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peonie,
I knew there was a Hermann in this photo, and he bore a remarkable resemblance to the photo from the last post:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,429757.0.html

So, from the photos I know that there were 3 cousins, one of them being Anna Weigold, and the others possibly Mathilde and Hermann Weigold. 

I have no idea who the hosts are - but I suspect they might also be related to Weigolds.  "Hermann" looks a lot like my brother in law, and the woman in the middle of the above photo looks a lot like my sister in law. 

Such a shame it's not signed, so we know who the hosts are.
Never mind, perhaps the next one will have clues.

Thanks for your help.  Cheers, Tristi
RIDGWAY - England & Australia
WOERZ (WÖRZ) - Australia, Palestine, West Germany

Find out about the search at:
http://missingevelyn.wordpress.com
Why spend a lifetime wondering?