Author Topic: Lucy Woolley Palmer & Robert J Scott  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lucy Woolley Palmer & Robert J Scott
« on: Saturday 16 January 10 12:54 GMT (UK) »
???
Lucy Woolley Palmer was born in 1876, the daughter of John Woolley Palmer & Lucy Palmer (nee Bennett). In 1901 Lucy married to a Robert James Scott in Barrow In Furness in England. It's thought that they had children named Violet & William.
The family are known to have emigrated to Canada.
I have found a possible passenger listing showing Lucy with her two children  ~  they may have sailed on the "Tunisian" from Liverpool to Quebec arriving on 26th May 1913. The passenger listings show that their destination was Hamilton, Ontario where presumably they were going to join Robert Scott who may have travelled ahead in order to secure a home base for them.
I would dearly like to learn more about my ancestors  ~  where did they eventually settle & what did they make of their lives in Canada?
Should anyone be able to point me in the right direction in order to find out I would be most grateful.

With Many Thanks,
Treefan.

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Woolley Palmer & Robert J Scott
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Treefan,

There is a WW1 attestation paper on line for a John Scott, his wife is Lucy Ann Scott. Says he was born Stoke on Trent Staffordshire. Does this sound like your people?
These papers are on line & can be searched yourself if you care to take a look, just type Soldiers of the First World War-CEF into a search engine & it should bring it right up.

Cordially,
Lisa

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
 :)
I shall check up on this straight away  ~  thank you so much.
Perhaps this will be another step in the right direction  ~  I hope!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
There is, on the 1916 Prairie census, a couple could be connected to the Attestation papers found.  They are living in MacDonald district of Manitoba.  He is Robert C. Hughes Scott b. Ireland 1869 and she is Lucy b. 1868 Ontario.  His employment is listed as soldier.

Do you have this couple on the 1911 census in England as that would show what children this couple had and if they're not there you're looking at an earlier immigration date.

Debbie

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 January 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
From what you have just said it seems that it is not the correct couple.
I do not know where Robert James Scott was born but I know that Lucy Scott was born in 1876 in Barrow In Furness in England.
Robert Scott may possibly have been Irish but we are trying to confirm this.
I haven't been able to locate the couple on a 1911 census entry as yet.

Thank you for trying to help me.

Treefan.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 January 10 18:34 GMT (UK) »
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/
Some ontario cemeteries are entered into this searchable database.  In order to find what the transcription of the headstone says you have to contact the contributing genealogical society.

On FreeBMD there is a record of a birth for Violet Rose Scott Jun 1904 Barrow F 8e 830
On this Ontario database there is a grave for Violet R. Scott in Grove Cemetery, Wentworth county Flamborough West Township (coincides with a Hamilton, Ontario location).
There is also an entry for Lucy W. Palmer in Greenhill, Kingville cemetery Essex County Gosfield South Township (an area of Ontario that is closer to Detroit, USA)

There are so many "same names" in genealogy that it might lead you nowhere but it might also validate the ships record you found.

Debbie

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 January 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Good find, Debbie!

I cannot view the full record, but there is a death for Violet Rose Law (Violet Rose Scott), 1933, Welland.  Father: Robert J. Scott.

Ontario, Canada Deaths.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 January 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Wow,
Debbie & Lisa, you should both change your names to Miss Marple!
That's great info  ~  thank you so much.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 January 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
If you use the cemetery site that Debbie referenced, you may select the cemetery, county and township.  Searching for Scotts, there are 42 records.  Could be coincidental, since the names aren't terrible uncommon, but there is a Lucy, Robert, Violet R and William Duncan.  They do have different reference numbers, however.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)