Author Topic: Matthews Charles - Toronto - Ship Info  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Matthews Charles - Toronto - Ship Info
« on: Monday 18 January 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Some kind person sent me from the BSI records and I am trying to understand it.
Charles Justin Matthews was born 14.05.1886, Toronto of Irish parents, Susanne & Charles Matthews. The parents and there 3 children, Richard, Robert and Charles, left Canada between 1886 and the end of 1887 and returned to Ireland. I have never found their departure port, or date.
The son, Charles Justin, returned to Canada at the age of 20.
Details from BSI records
Name: Charles Matthews
Last Permanent residence: Toronto, Canada
Ever in U.S. : ?
Address of relative or friend to join there: Holy, Mich. No address.
Tax Status: GT 11732
Seaport and date of landing : Quebec - Aug 14 1905 on "SS Numidian. Where did the vessel come from, no records available. Think he went to USA July 21 1906

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matthews Charles - Toronto - Ship Info
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 10 16:51 GMT (UK) »
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
 - shows him as heading to NY in 1905 on the Numidian, as "Chas Justin Matthew"

at www.ellisisland.org you can see him; Charles Mathews, 19; he is marked as Irish,"born in Canada", occupation farmer and missionary. On this record he seems to be heading to Philadelphia. There are a number of others with him all with occupation "+do", meaning "and missionary" I think, and they are heading to either Chas. B. Wilson in Philadelphia or Dan McIntyre in NY (it seems that Dan was the connection in NY and then they were going on to Philadelphia).

The ship sailed from Glasgow.

http://www.tellingthetruth.info/founder_book/06wmibook.php mentions some of these folks.

I don't know what the BSI records are, to be honest, but it's not uncommon to find errors of this sort - wrong port, wrong ship name, somebody forgot exactly which day the ship arrived.  Perhaps he went back and forth a couple of times and another time came in via Quebec.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic, it moves me forward. I know your information is correct.
Still cannot understand why I cannot find the Matthews family leaving Canada back home to Ireland between mid 1886 and end of 1888. Their 4th child was born in Co. Offaly, Eire in January 1889.
Charles Justin was born Toronto May 1886.
On the 20th of June 1883, Charles (21) and Susanne Matthews (26), along with their sons Richard (2) and Robert (1) arrived on the vessel “Sardinian” at Quebec, from Liverpool and Londonderry. Their final destination was shown as Toronto, Canada. 
Thank you.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Charles Justin Matthews filed a Petition for America citizenship in Alabama on 17 Aug 1912. The form indicates he was born in Toronto on 14 May 1886, was a farmer and that his current residence was in Perdido ?, Baldwin County, Alabama. He arrived in the US on the Numidia and his last foreign residence was Dublin, Ireland.

There is a family tree at Ancestry that indicates Charles died 27 Aug 1957 in Alabama. It also indicates he had married a woman named Emma Alabama Kitchen and they had 2 children. The tree owner is CMatthews and it's in the Public Tree section if you can access Ancestry.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the below.
Is the previous reply correct, that Charles Justin Matthews sailed from Glasgow to Quebec on SS Numidian in 1905.
I shared all my family information with C Matthews who I was not aware had place it in the public tree section of Ancestry.
If Charles J Matthews arrived in Quebec and then went to the USA, there should be a record oh him passing into the States, by land, or sea.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 10:50 GMT (UK) »
He arrived from Glasgow to New York in 1905, there's no trace that I can find that the SS Numidian went to Quebec on that date. (It did later sail to Montreal/Quebec, from Glasgow, in  November 1905).

As my message says, the documents on Ellis Island say he was heading to Philadelphia and give an additional address in Brooklyn, there is no trace of anything to say he was heading to Canada.

It is possible that after he went to the address listed on the ship documents, he went by land from the US to Canada and then later back to the US.
Until 1906 persons of Canadian birth weren't listed in border crossing records. Depending on the date, therefore, you may or may not find some trace of him in border crossings:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdenclan/albans.htm
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I think I was getting confused by the Quebec red herring.
If anyone can find the Matthews family leaving Canada between 1886 and the end of 1888, for Ireland, I would bery much appreciate it.