Author Topic: James and Alison McKnight...COMPLETED!  (Read 3869 times)

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James and Alison McKnight...COMPLETED!
« on: Monday 18 January 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello, newbie here!
I know that James McKnight and Alison Haining married in 1918 in Dunscore Dumfries and emigrated to Canada in 1926 taking a daughter with them. Their son had died not long after birth. Looking for more information on that family, especially after reaching Canada.
Does anyone know anything......
Thanks
Mhomac
Fraser, McNay, Maxwell, McKnight, Gray, Greenshields

Offline LesleyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James and Alison McKnight
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mhomac,

The family sailed from Glasgow to Halifax on the ship Cameronia. They arrived in Canada on 3 Apr 1926.

James McKnight age 33, Alison McKnight age 34, and Alison McKnight age 5.  All born Dunscore, never in Canada before, passage assisted by government.  James is a farm worker. Destination states 'Land Settlement Association, Calgary, Alberta'.  Nearest relative in Scotland was James' father Mr. John McKnight, Old Manse, Throughgate, Auldgirth, Dumfries.

I'm not sure what records (if any) are publicly available for that time period in Calgary.

Lesley

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lesley,
That confirms what I had heard about the family. Any way of finding out what happened to them after they arrived?  An old story is that they had another daughter born in Canada and that either she or Alison married and had twins!
No proof that this happened.
I'd love to know more and add it to the Tree but have no idea where to begin looking.
Best wishes
Mhomac

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 15:29 GMT (UK) »
They probably didn't finish in Calgary but were heading there first and then would be helped to find farm land.

http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/loc_hist/page.aspx?id=879534
 - picture, "Jim and Alison McKnight and daughter"
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/loc_hist/page.aspx?id=879857
 - and family story by their daughter, she mentions her marriage, but no siblings.
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/loc_hist/page.aspx?id=879915
 - details on her and her husband's family - one of her daughters (e.g. James and Alison's granddaughter), did indeed have twins.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!!
Jorose, so many thank you's.
I can't believe how quickly you found this info for me. I have wondered for years about this family and within hours of posting......here are the answers.
I will read and reread all the articles and may even find some clues as to how to find and contact them.
I do so appreciate all the effort you have put into this search.
Regards
Mhomac

Offline Doonhamer38

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: James and Alison McKnight...COMPLETED!
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 July 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I was browsing through the internet and came across your entry.  James and Alison McKnight were my great aunt and uncle and I obviously would have information that you may be missing.  Please feel free to get in  touch.

Offline Gemmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 July 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I'm not sure if anyone will reply as this thread as it is quite old now. However, Jim McKnight was my Papa's (Ian McKnight of Locharbriggs) uncle. I came across my families link to Canada when my uncle gave me an old cut out from the Canadian Settler Newspaper that was a story of Jim McKnight's life and mentioned his wife Alison and daughter Alison. I know he was once of 12 and at the time of the article he had three sisters in their 80's back in Scotland that he still visited despite being 92 at the time! I'd be interested in finding out more about living family in Canada. I am actually heading to Ontario in 2 weeks to visit my partner's family who emigrated there. 

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Gemmck
I am interested in your post as I have KcKnights  on my family tree and was given these articles some time ago. I can possibly copy and send you the section of my tree as it's not on any sites( I've kept it personal).
However, here are the links to the articles, which I found fascinating!

http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/loc_hist/page.aspx?id=879534
 - picture, "Jim and Alison McKnight and daughter"
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/loc_hist/page.aspx?id=879857
 - and family story by their daughter, she mentions her marriage, but no siblings.
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/loc_hist/page.aspx?id=879915
 - details on her and her husband's family - one of her daughters (e.g. James and Alison's granddaughter), did indeed have twins

I hope you can open them and have a good read.  Come back to me if you want any other info. Some of the family ended up in Stettler, Alberta which I dont think is anywhere near Ontario.
Good luck!

Offline Gemmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 July 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't access the web pages as the content is being migrated to a new platfrom.  There was an email address provided so I have emailed the content holder to see if they can provide me with a new link or send me the information.