Author Topic: marriage of mary agnes page and john jones-maybe in hereford  (Read 6009 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: marriage of mary agnes page and john jones-maybe in hereford
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I should have worded that reply better - I did find her in Eardisley with her parents in the 1861 census, not sure if frankie  already has the details so didn't add them.

Like you say it's possible / probable that she went into service and moved to somewhere like Swansea then came home married.  That marriage is Dec 1866 and the son fred being born 1868 it doesn't seem to be a shotgun wedding, strange they didn't marry in Eardisley.

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 15:52 GMT (UK) »
In the 1876 Directory William Page is down as a Painter,  plumber and decorator, so it is a big co-incidence that John Jones is a painter too.  Apprentice ? They often married the bosses daughter. Any sign of John Jones painter in Herefordshire in 1861 ?

Eardisley was also on the Hereford, Hay and Brecon railway which opened in 1864, so travel to Swansea would be fairly easy, if not a little uncomfortable.

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 22:41 GMT (UK) »
you are all amazing. Has one of you got a common ancestor here-you are all so keen??? Thanks for all your info-its been great. im doing this for a friend -its not even my family but i do get involved in them-its very addictive. i did think it sounded correct for the swansea or a big coincidence. i will tell my friend to confirm it he needs to get the certificate for the swansea marriage and i will let u know if its the correct page if you like. like you say-they may have travelled on the railway for work. And to end up in burnley lancashire is a strange move too-not sure yet if john jones came with mary and died in burnley or not-must check that one. i'll check on lancashire bmd maybe for that . she was a widow in 1891 -not sure when john died.
thanks for your brilliant detective work.
frankie

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
If you order the Marriage Certificate from Swansea Register Office, ask to only have it if the bride's father's name is WILLIAM PAGE, then you will not waste your money.

I notice that in 1881 the family are in Barrow in Furness on the coast in what is now Cumbria.

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes-that was my start off point because my friend said she was born in barrow as that was what he had as family rumour. How she ended up in burnley i have no idea. We are still in burnley now. And he loves painting and decorating-strange eh??? Must be in the genes . Am going to see if i can spot a death for john jones to see if he died in burnley or in barrow or somewhere in  between.
thanks
frankie

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 January 10 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Painters on the railway travelled a lot unless they were at one of the big stations where there was constant work.  It doesn't say painter on railways but there could be a connection, my dad started out as a painter with the GWR at Paddington.  Good luck with the rest, I'll have a look for John's birth, or one that looks likely.

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 January 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
There are several John Jones born Newport / St Woolos, the nearest age wise in 1841
Edward Jones age 40, mason
Mary age 30
mary age 12
Sarah age 10
John age 8 months

They move closer to Hereford in 1851
Georges Quay right on the river Wye, Monmouth.

and in 1861 - Chippenham Terrace, Monmouth
John is a mason like his father, could have changed trades?

When you get that certificate, if it's the right one, all the details will be there.

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 January 10 17:07 GMT (UK) »
On the 1881 Census John is a Painter, grainer and writer, so he is doing fancy stuff popular at that time like putting grain effects on wood and signwriting too by the sound of it.

Offline frankieb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 January 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that folks. So is that the only choice we have for the john jones mary agnes paige marriage then. ??? I will see my friend this weekend probab ly and ask him to get that swansea certificate to check if its them. Seven pound isnt so much to spend. then i'll post again. Found a death of john jones in 1884 in burnley. Maybe thats him. Its such a common name -john and jones-age a bit old but almost fits. ??