Author Topic: Port Dinorwic Turnbull  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Jimbly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Port Dinorwic Turnbull
« on: Sunday 24 January 10 13:39 GMT (UK) »
We are looking for family connections of William D F Turnbull and Muriel Evans(m.Dec-1924). Also for John Turnbull and Elizabeth Ann Pritchard(m.June 1890) all from Bangor. Hopefully somebody will have family history containing these people as we are looking to complete our Turnbull Tree

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Port Dinorwic Turnbull
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
My notes show that Service papers have survived for a Walter Griffith Turnbull who enlisted aged 24 years as Pte 6605 in the 16th Battalion, London Regiment. His mother was a Elizabeth A Turnbull of Vaynol Park. He seems to have married a  Margaret Rose Ellandery (sp?) in Battersea on 4/6/1918.

Newspaper report dated 4/5/1917
"Pte Douglas Turnbull, youngest son of Mr and Mrs Turnbull, Vaynol Park arrived home on Wednesday from Newcastle on Tyne on leave before setting off for France. "
I can't positively identify his service.

Also I have a Joseph Turnbull of 20 Clarence Street, Bangor who was Pte 1411 in the 6th Battalion (Territorial) Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Later went to the Royal Engineers. His papers do not seem to have survived.

Gwil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 10 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Just read your post again and I would strongly suspect that the Douglas I refer to is your William D F Turnbull. There are only 4 men who received medals named Douglas Turnbull. One can eliminated due to his papers. Another due to pre or early war service in a Scottish Regiment thus leaving Dougla F and a Douglas H and Douglas H has 1915 overseas service leaving Pte 36762 Douglas F Turnbull of the Northumberland Fusiliers. Not conclusive I agree but was he known as Douglas or William?

Gwil

Offline Jimbly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much! Walter Griffith and William DF were brothers. So I can assume that Vaynol Park coincides with the census address of Aber Cottages? Thanks again for you help. Jim

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 10 17:09 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433367.0.html

Someone  else is  asking about Turnbull.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)