Author Topic: *COMPLETED THANKS* Ann(e) Lobban died Grange, Banffshire 1849  (Read 14403 times)

Offline rindercella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED THANKS* Ann(e) Lobban died Grange, Banffshire 1849
« on: Sunday 24 January 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find my great great grandmother for some time.  All I have is her marriage to Alexander Morrison farmer of Brambleburn Farm, Grange,  on 16th December 1849.  It does not say how old she was, where she was born or who her parents were. The other record i have is the birth of her son my great grandfather James Morrison in February 1849 at which time she died but cannot find any death record for her.   Any help would be appreciated. 

Any information on the death of her husband also would be appreciated who was Alexander Morrison born around 1807 in Grange.  He is listed at  Gledhilloch at the age of 65 in 1871 but been unable to find any record after that.  Also can anyone tell me where Gledhilloch was in Grange and if its still there?   I have tried "googling" but nothing....

Many thanks

Karen

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann(e) Lobban died Grange, Banffshire 1849
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 10 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen, Welcome to Rootschat :)

On a modern OS map Gled Hillock is marked as being 500m from Brambleburn Farm on the South East side of Lurg Hill.

It is marked on this map if you zoom right in to the black and white version. It looks as though Alexander Morrison only moved to the next farm building over.

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

Look for Edingight House and you should find it.

I see he is listed as Alexander Morison (with one R) at Bramble Burn in the 1841 census (FreeCen), but in 1851 it's Morrison again. ::)

There is a possible death for him on Scotland's People.
Using soundex on surname, and "Alex", with birth year 1807+/-5 years there are 2 deaths in Banffshire.
1 of them is in Grange in 1873 which would explain why you couldn't find him in later census records.

It might be worth viewing the image to see if it lists him as widower of Ann Lobban. His son James may have registered the death.

Hope this helps

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline rindercella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kirsty for your help.   I'm afraid the death of an Alexander Morrison in Grange in 1873 was another Alexander Morrison as I downloaded that from scotlandspeople but it wasn't him.   I will look more into the other one.  You also gave me an idea when you mentioned about his son registering the death as he had by then moved to Glasgow so perhaps he registered his father's death there.  I will look into that as well.

Alexander's birth record I have been given says " in Sholstown"?  Is there such a place or a similar sounding place?  I did see a place on the map by the name of Aultown or something.  Maybe transcribed wrong perhaps?

Thank you again

Karen

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen,

I don't know how you could prove this one but it might be worth investigating.

FREECEN has 1841 and 1851 census records of Banff and Aberdeen.

In 1851 there is a Lobban family living at Grange - Alexander Lobban and family along with his brother Charles who were born at Glass, Aberdeen. They are at Glass with parents James Lobban and Elizabeth Simpson in 1841.

A parent search of the IGI shows James and Elizabeth had a daughter Anne born 1828 who appears to be working at Torrie Farm, Glass in 1841.

Could this be your Anne Lobban? Were there any witnesses on your great grandfather's birth record that would tie in with this family?

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of places in Banff called Something-town so it definately a possibility. I haven't seen anything yet that jumps out at me. Do  you have any idea where the info came from, could it have been mistranscribed from handwriting or mis-heard?

Kirsty

Offline rindercella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

It was from the Baptism record for Alexander from  the Parish Register of Grange which my cousin got and the place was hard to read but it said:  22nd August 1807 John Morrison in Sholstown? had a child by his wife Margaret Donald.  Baptised and Called Alexander.  Witnesses Alexander Morrison and Alexander Mitchell.  Three years later they were at Balamen? but that could have been misread also and it could mean Balnamoon.  In 1824 they were at Brambleburn.   

Thank you for your help in the search for Anne Lobban.  I don't think that is her as I have been in touch with someone on Genes Reunited whose Anne Lobban was from Glass but she didn't marry an Alexander.  Do you know if Glass is near Grange?  I also found another Anne Lobban on the 1841 Census.  She was 15 at the time so would be about the right age also.  Her parents were James Lobban and Anne Eddie but its just finding the right Anne.   I have looked at Libindx for buriels of Anne Morrison for Grange Cemetary but nothing came up but I am told that if she wasn't from Grange she would have been buried in her home town. 

Karen

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
If you want further confirmation of the name you could try posting that part of the image on the handwriting recognition board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,425.0.html

There are lots of people there who are quite experienced at deciphering other people's scrawls!
Just don't forget to post a link back to this thread.

Kirsty

Offline rindercella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 January 10 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

I have downloaded the original baptism record and I'm not any further forward with what the name of the place is so will try and post it as you suggested.

As regards Anne Lobban's death.  Do you know if there is anywhere else I could look apart from where I have already searched? 

Thanks again for all your help.

Karen

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty

It was from the Baptism record for Alexander from  the Parish Register of Grange which my cousin got and the place was hard to read but it said:  22nd August 1807 John Morrison in Sholstown? had a child by his wife Margaret Donald.  Baptised and Called Alexander.  Witnesses Alexander Morrison and Alexander Mitchell.  Three years later they were at Balamen? but that could have been misread also and it could mean Balnamoon.  In 1824 they were at Brambleburn.   

Thank you for your help in the search for Anne Lobban.  I don't think that is her as I have been in touch with someone on Genes Reunited whose Anne Lobban was from Glass but she didn't marry an Alexander.  Do you know if Glass is near Grange?  I also found another Anne Lobban on the 1841 Census.  She was 15 at the time so would be about the right age also.  Her parents were James Lobban and Anne Eddie but its just finding the right Anne.   I have looked at Libindx for buriels of Anne Morrison for Grange Cemetary but nothing came up but I am told that if she wasn't from Grange she would have been buried in her home town. 

Karen

Hello again Karen,

This appears to be your Alexander at Bramble Burn in 1841 with his father John.

MORISON       John       age 55 Farmer                    
MORISON       Alexander     age 30                           
MORISON       Margret                               
MORISON       Jane                                 
MORISON       Elspet   

There is another Alexander Morison around the same age living at 'Balamoon'.                 

You can view the transcriptions at FREECEN.

Regards,
Nel