Author Topic: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?  (Read 15320 times)

Offline DiddyDumpling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Locations mainly DUR & NBL, some AYR and Ulster
    • View Profile
Re: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 January 10 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I've tried that and no joy I'm afraid.  I've just emailed the LDS support folk to try to get an answer.

Den
Hall, Murphy, Russell, Forster, Arnell, Dougall, Dennison, Gibson, Humble, Allison, Usher, Dewar, Myers, Tallentyre, Fatherly.  Mainly located in County Durham & Northumberland but some in Lancashire, Ayreshire, Lanarkshire and Ulster.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 January 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I asked recently as I have a lot of XP programs incompatable with W7. I wanted to do a dual boot with W7The answer I was given in the shop is that while XP will work OK in these conditions as an operating system many of the peripherals will not work as the machine is tailored for W7. Apparently an answer is to take a Windows Vista machine and upgrade that to W7, XP will then work as it is compatable with Vista. There is always W7 ultimate which has an installed XP version, but I am told it is basic, and think myself that a better solution would be to instal Virtual Box, and then run a virtual version of XPin that.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 January 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
The answer I was given in the shop is that while XP will work OK in these conditions as an operating system many of the peripherals will not work as the machine is tailored for W7.

I don't understand that.
I thought that as long as you have the correct drivers for the peripherals and operating system you select when you boot up (under a dual boot system), then they should work.

I won't be offended if someone wants to tells me why this is incorrect.

I have a lot of XP programs incompatable with W7

If everything ran well under XP or Vista then I can't see the point in changing.
Or am I missing something?

I've dual booted several operating systems and I've had no major problems.
I'm sticking with XP/XP because Win 7 doesn't support my soundcard, and XP does everything I need.

8) :)

'Hat.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 January 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Why o Why so many changes   is it just for them to make money..............  I just had to get new pc and it came with Win 7... I didnt want that... it took two days to sort the classic view etc etc but as stated No outlook express... extremely annoying..  the reason I was given is down to money  as I use Virgin   they want us to access theit site for mail and they are not compatible with win 7 outlook express.. I downloaded firefox mail .. but cant cope with the changes.. ... so dumped the whole caboodle and am back on my lovely XP old machine..  OH not happy as brand new extra grapics high speed etc etc is in box in a cupboard...............  ho hum....

xin

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 January 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
the reason I was given is down to money  as I use Virgin

Rubbish - Often confused with the far more powerful and completely different Outlook which was part of the Office suite of programs Outlook Express is an old and outdated program which has caused more problems than it ever cured.

Microsoft did however produce a replacement Windows LiveMail for use with Windows 7
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 January 10 20:13 GMT (UK) »
the reason I was given is down to money  as I use Virgin

Rubbish - Often confused with the far more powerful and completely different Outlook which was part of the Office suite of programs Outlook Express is an old and outdated program which has caused more problems than it ever cured.

Microsoft did however produce a replacement Windows LiveMail for use with Windows 7
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Okay rubbish i heard from the pc bloke who installed my sytem   so sorry   :-[
I who know nothing   :-\ :'( ;D

xin

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 28 January 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
The response was not aimed at you but at the person who gave you such a ridiculous explanation.

Over the years I have heard sales people come out with absolute tripe trying to push a sale onto an unsuspecting customer - often something they don't really need at all.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 January 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I knew   (well hoped) you didnt mean me...  I like so many am easily 'persuaded' that these people know so much ... with all that technical jargon... 

I will sooooon take my new machine out of its box  and study it -- to try and get to grips with it... One day soon.. I dont know why the case has all these flashing blue lights tho'   ;)

xin

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 January 10 11:28 GMT (UK) »

Many of my older programs - sourced from FH societies have installed and run without any problems on W7 64 bit version - the only program which does cause problems is the viewing program for the 1881 census and BVRi discs - that steadfasly refuses to run in the 64 bit environment.

To install your program using compatibility and administrator functions right click on the set up program before running it - select properties and then campatibility - set the program to install with XP compatibility and run as administrator

Falkryn,
Thank you for your reply and help.  I've tried to install the Family Treemaker 2006 CD as you said but the message comes back that there are drivers missing and there is no solution offered by Microsoft or FTM.

Then I tried to open an earlier FTM version that was moved from my old pc to the Win7 laptop in the transfer of data.  A message comes up saying "Program can't start because LTKRNION.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the progam to fix the problem".

Only problem with this is, even if I had  that .dll,  that I have given away the CD for the earlier version.    Can I download from the net the above .dll and if so woud that tart  the earlier version that seems to have been transfered?  Where would I downlod the .dll to- which folder etc?

If you are able to help me here I'd be most grateful. 

charlotte