Author Topic: Aaron Maddocks, b.1854 Flintshire  (Read 10403 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aaron Maddocks, b.1854 Flintshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heather. Well that's the link - I had suspected as such - Sarah Bellis is captured on the 1851 census in Liverpool as she was working there and for some reason that was where she got married.  Perhaps there was a baby on the way - although my records only have Aaron born 1854 - some three years after the wedding.

I now know Sarah Bellis's parents were Robert b.1791 and Catherine b.1791 and she had likely siblings Jane b. 1821, Robert b.1836 and Hannah b.1840. Sarah was born c.1830 and I am guessing Mary between 1821 and 1830.

Is there a death record for Mary Bellis between 1847 and 1851 listing her age at death as 20 - 25 years? Also were there any infant deaths in Bretton with name of Maddocks between 1847 and 1850? I'm thinking that Mary may have died in labour?

Thanks to everyone for your help, James

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I now know Sarah Bellis's parents were Robert b.1791 and Catherine b.1791 and she had likely siblings Jane b. 1821, Robert b.1836 and Hannah b.1840. Sarah was born c.1830 and I am guessing Mary between 1821 and 1830.

With respect I don't think you can assume anything.  The first names Mary & Robert and surname Ellis were very common in this area.

H
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
You're absolutely right. I stand corrected! Are there any baptist records of Bellis children baptisted in Bretton area between 1830 - 1850 - this might hopefully show the parents. Also placing this Sarah Bellis with her family in 1841 would help too.
James
 :-\

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 February 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello JamesDMcBust,

There was no church in Bretton then and still nothing now.

I think this predates the nearest church there these days, which is Broughton, St Mary. It is most likely that children born in Bretton would have been baptised in Hawarden church.

You could ask Paul to look these up for you in the Flintshire RO.

Jo

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 February 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Paul

Jo has suggested that you might be able to help me with searching old baptisms when you next go to the Flintshire Records Office. I'm looking for baptisms at Hawarden Church of Bellis children during the years 1830 - 1850 by a Robert Bellis (and I think he wife was Mary although not absolutely sure). If you are able to find time I'd be very grateful.
James
 ;)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 February 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I think you might be better putting a post on the Flintshire board as Hawarden is in that county.

Have you looked at the IGI for these? I have had a quick scan and found dozens of Bellis baptisms in Hawarden on there. Also, of further interest, there are some baptisms on Broughton in the 1830s. I didn't realise the church was that old.

Jo

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 February 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
An update, I found that Broughton, St Mary was consecrated in 1824. It might be worth looking into the possibilty that they were baptised there. This church is less than 2 miles from Bretton whereas Hawarden would be about 5 miles at least.

Jo

Offline sofrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 August 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Just noticed the name Aaron Maddocks and registered with Rootschat immediately.  Aaron Maddocks and Catherine Millington were my great grandparents.  I am at the moment trying to accumulate as much information as possible about them.  If I can help in any way or if you have any information, please contact me.

Offline Spindle104

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to go off at a tangent here, just adding a postscript about Catherine Millington.  Her first husband was Robert Airth, the brother of my GG Grandfather, William.  If anyone wants to make a new thread, I'd really like to know about Robert & William's parents, Alexander Airth & Elizabeth Lee who were married in Ireland.

Small world, eh?

kind regards,
S
Hill - ERY
Airth - Scotland
Underwood - Chester, Staffordshire, Liverpool
Carlill - ERY
Tuxworth - ERY & Lincolnshire
MacAndrew - Co. Mayo