Author Topic: McQuade of Westmeath Ireland  (Read 5341 times)

Offline LinnettW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McQuade of Westmeath Ireland
« on: Thursday 28 January 10 07:46 GMT (UK) »
     When my Grandmother Elizabeth McQuade married Grandfather Ernest Wickham in 1890 in Brisbane Qld Australia she put down her age as 22 yrs old and that her parents were Thomas McQuade farmer and Elizabeth Bell of Killnean, Westmeath Ireland. I am told a sister Alice Jane, a bit older, travelled out to Australia with her.  I can't find McQuade in Westmeath but I am sure someone out there will be able to help me with advice or information and I look forward to replies.

LinnettW

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McQuade of Westmeath Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 10 08:45 GMT (UK) »
you dont mentioned where you tried searching.. but since Elizabeths birth appears to be just after Civil registration started in 1864 the first place to try is the Irish Civil Index on familysearch. (When searching for 'Mc' names you need to try M' also)

just to note the Meath is a separate county to Westmeath... but at the moment I dont see a place named Killnean in either. There is a town in east Co. Meath (near Dunsaughlin) named Killeen...

Assuming that her birth year is accurate I dont see anything promising for her birth on the civil index.. in the Meath or Westmeatch area ..  there are a number of McQuade births around the right time in Co. Meath in the Kells and Oldcastle area, as well a few around Mullingar in Co. Westmeath

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests