Author Topic: Looking for descendants of Henry EDWARDS b 1820 Calcutta d 1893 Richmond Vic Aus  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I'm hoping someone else out there is working of this family tree as well as me.   There is an allegedly delicate family tale relating to the circumstances surrounding the birth of and possibly the means of getting to Australia of Henry Edwards and his family in c 1853 as Unassisted Passengers.

Allegedly born in Calcutta, India c1820, his father was a military man with the  East India Company
Henry Edwards married Marion Murray at St Johns Church, Edinburgh Scotland on the 29 July 1846.
their first 3 children were born in Edinburgh,
Robert Edwards b 11 Jan 1848 d in Ballarat, Vic Australia 21 Feb 1918  [font=Verdana]Spouse  Rebekah Jane Bullock[/font]
Marion Edwards b 13 May 1850 d 27 Jun 1927 St Kilda Victoria 
Spouse Richard Sprott
Rachel Mary (May) Edwards b 23 May 1852 d 14 Sept 1910 Armadale Victoria
Spouse Robert Anderson

The remaining children were born in Australia; 
Agnes Edwards, b 12 Nov 1854 d 10 Apr 1930 Albert Park Victoria 
Spouse John Stanley Kay
Jane Edwards, b 22 Oct 1857  d 16 Jan 1939 Hawthorn Vic. 
Spouse William Hutchinson
Charles Murray Barstow Edwards b19 Nov 1858 d 18 Jul 1859 Melbourne Vic
Isabella Edwards b 27 Jul 1860 d 25 Jan 1873 Sandridge Victoria
Henry Edwards b 4 Apr 1863 d 28 Oct 1928 Parhran Vic. 
Spouse Riverina Green

It is thought / hoped that descendants from Robert and Rebekah Edwards may still have some documents that could expand on the verbal tale that has been passed down through their children,
Marion Christina Jane Edwards Spouse Harry Archenfield Biggs
Edith Maud Edwards Spouses Arthur Edward Smith and John Robinson
Robert Courtney Murray Edwards Spouse Anne Walker

It is thought that this paperwork may be in the safe keeping of the families of either Marion or Edith.

If there is a family member out there that can help with this mystery, please contact me.   By PM if need be.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for descendants of Henry Edwards b 1820 Calcutta d 1893 Richmond Vic Aus
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 10 11:59 GMT (UK) »
There is a digitised will for Henry EDWARDS, gentleman of Campbell Pde Richmond, died 3 Jan 1893, leaving all to his 'dear wife' Marion EDWARDS.

This will is also digitised: Marion EDWARDS, widow, of 656 Campbell Pde Richmond, died 10 July 1904

She leaves all to her daughters, Jane HUTCHISON (named as a widow in the will) and Rachel Mary ANDERSON.  Jane and Rachel's husband Robert are the executors.  There is no mention of any of the other children.

Rachel's will is there also mentioning her six children. (Search using 'Rachel M Anderson')

http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=54

I assume this is the family on the Tamerlane arriving 23 April 1853 - have you looked at the shipping records?

Henry EDWARDS, 33,
Mrs EDWARDS, 23, Robert 4, Marion 2, Rachael 1
Ref Fiche 037 p002

Often not a great deal on Unassisted passenger lists, though.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for descendants of Henry Edwards b 1820 Calcutta d 1893 Richmond Vic Aus
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 10 12:31 GMT (UK) »
EDWARDS Henry born c1820 arrived at Melbourne on 29 April 1853.  He embarked from Glasgow on the TAMERLANE  Nationality Scottish.
Also on the TAMERLANE
Mrs EDWARDS b. 1830
Robert b. 1849
Marion b. 1851
Rebecca - no age listed.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 10 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Judith and Cando,
The information you have provided matches up with what is already know so we are on the same track, which is encouraging.    I'm hoping that there may be descendants out there reading this willing to confirm or convincingly refute the story relating to the birth of Henry and why his second son got the names he was baptised with.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 10 23:34 GMT (UK) »
So you need no further assistance with research?

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for descendants of Henry EDWARDS b 1820 Calcutta d 1893 Richmond Vic Aus
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 10 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at any of the chn's birth certificates?  Victorian certificates have lots of info (so long as the informant knows the information and is truthful).

This resource lists the information you can hope to find.  It sounds as though you may not be sure of Henry's birthplace so perhaps there may be some information on a child's birth certificate -as I said, as long as Henry has recorded the information correctly.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

If you don't have them already you can download the certificates from the Victorian site.  You need the reference number which some R'chatters can supply for you (saves another 99c!) 

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for descendants of Henry EDWARDS b 1820 Calcutta d 1893 Richmond Vic Aus
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank cando and Judith,
The data you both have supplied has conformed what was already know in regard to Henry.
We do have a baptism for him in Calcutta but it has his fathers name on it - yes it may also be another Henry Edwards but the name given didn't marry until later.
His father's line was/is a respectable family in the UK and I want to respect their privacy.
What I'm hoping for is for a descendant of one of Henry's children is still in possesion of the documentation relating to Henry's parentage to please contact me.  It all hangs on that documentation.   A family member thinks he saw it as a young man, but that is now a very long time ago.
Abygail
  Abygail

Offline pos72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abygail

My wife and children are descended from Henry Edwards through his second daughter Rachel Mary Edwards and her husband Robert Anderson.  I have recently been doing some family history research for my mother-in-law, in the course of which I came across your posting.

While I don't have the documentary evidence you're after, there is certainly a family story that has travelled down through the generations and I would be very interested in comparing notes with you.

pos72

Offline CalcuttaEdwards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 August 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Henry Edwards and Marion Murray, through their daughter Jane Edwards born 1856.  Jane was my great-grandmother.  She lived in Foley Street in Kew.
I am also trying to find out information about Henry Edwards and his birth in Calcutta.
I am unaware of the family story and would be interested to find out what it is.  The only male Edwards child I can find born about 1819 in Bengal is the son of a Capt. Edwards of the Ship Dorah.  Lloyds shippng register has the Dorah as a 690 ton ship built in India in 1816.  Edwards is listed as the 'managing owner'.