Author Topic: Looking for info - death of Hugh BROOKS  (Read 5146 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info - death of Hugh BROOKS
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 February 10 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
Using the link given below,
Search as a guestand type in to keywords search...

h. brooks deceased

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

You will see a government record titled

Corporal H. Brooks (presumed deceased)Compensation claim by wife v. Commonwealth. Dated 1964.

1964 co-incidentally is the year of the death on the NSW indexes I found in reply #1.

The record is not digitised for reading and it is marked as 'not yet examined'

I believe you can apply for details.  Follow the promts from clicking the blue file number.

I wonder if answers might be in there.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 February 10 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thanks again for your endeavours on my behalf - I love how everybody tries to help each other out.

I've had a look at the link and will complete the application form asking for release of the document.  I've double checked the names on Hugh's birth record and he definitely didn't have any other names - he was a close friend of my dad's and Dad is sure that he's a one name guy.  Dad does say though at 82, he's not sure that he's sure of anything these days !!

I've emailed Hugh's kids - in different areas of the world nowadays - and await a response.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

Anna
McGrory, Milne, Mulvenny (or Mulveny), McKinlay, Cairns, Allan, McLean, Cassney (or Kessney).

Offline Mary brooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Mary Brooks I am 74 years old and I believe the Hugh Brooks you are speaking about looking for is my brother. What you mention is exactly what happened to my brother and the family he had 2 sons too.  Would be great to find out if we both can find lost families I am the only Brooks left in the family. My daughter is helping me do this thanks

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

If we're talking about the same Hugh Brooks, he was married to my father's sister.  I have been researching the family tree for some years and would be delighted to help you with this.

I also have more information on the details of Hugh's death

Regards

Anna
McGrory, Milne, Mulvenny (or Mulveny), McKinlay, Cairns, Allan, McLean, Cassney (or Kessney).

Offline Mary brooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anna for coming back to me my daughter is helping me do this as you can imagine this technology is way above my head. Reading his wife's name and the detail on his kids this is the same man. I have never done this sort of thing before and by chance last night my daughter and me where playing about on the internet and came across this.  I currently live just outside Glasgow with 4 children. All my sisters and brothers are now passed away I would love to hear any stories you have to tell

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

I also live just outside Glasgow - don't know how to arrange to contact you as you aren't encouraged to give out personal details on the forum - perhaps the moderator could help as I assume that's how your daughter got the subject re-opened.  Would love to be in touch.  Have just worked out how to do it and sent you a personal message through Rootschat - please look for it

Cheers

Anna

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Janda.

If you click on the little icon that looks like a bit of paper under Mary's name, it will say 'personal message'. You can click on this and it will allow you to send a personal message to Mary's email via Rootschat. It won't reveal her email address, but you can ask her for it, or other contact details, within your message.

That way, any personal information is only shared between the 2 of you, it doesn't show up on Rootschat.

Lovely to see that you have found each other!

Sue

Offline janda2050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Sussed it out just after my first message to Mary - thank you for your help though.

Mary is the sister of Hugh Brooks and we are arranging to swap photos etc and put members of the larger family in touch

Thanks once again for all your help

Cheers

Anna

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 May 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Mary (and her daughter)

Sometimes Rootschat won't let you use the Private Message facility until you've made at least 3 posts so it would be best if Mary makes another couple of posts - short ones will be fine.

How wonderful that you have been able to contact each other, especially as it seems you live quite close to each other.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk